Kickback

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

frankfast

Kickback

Postby frankfast » Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Looking for help on starting. Bike is kicking back at the highest point of the kick starter. That's the only time it seems to ignite. I'm getting good spark and I've timed the points plate numerous times. I've also tried multiple positions on the points plate to no avail. Timing the ignition. the points plate is adjusted almost as far as it will go clockwise, about 8 degrees BTDC. I've retarded the timing some and got less kickback but still won't start. I'm suspicious that it's starving for fuel because when pulling the plug it doesn't seem wet. I cleaned all the jets in the carb and they are open. Spraying starter fluid through the carb didn't help either. Still can't tell whether the problem is timing or lack of fuel. Compression is good. Bike hasn't been started in a couple of years. It's a 350 Scrambler with a square slide carb 29mm.

Duccout

Re: Kickback

Postby Duccout » Sat May 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Could the advance retard mechanism be jammed?

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat May 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi Frank

Just describe your starting procedure for us, please ....

You do have a valve lifter, I believe?

Ciao

Craig

frankfast

Postby frankfast » Sat May 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Unfortunately, the compression relief is not working due to missing parts. I've checked the enricher on the carb and it is clear. I kick the bike after bringing it up on the compression stroke. That's when I get the kickback. Retarding the timing eliminates that but still won't start. I haven't checked the advance mechanism.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat May 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Does it run with a push/bump start?

frankfast

Postby frankfast » Sat May 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Tried that once but didn't get a good push because i was by myself. Have to try it with some help.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sat May 23, 2020 9:24 pm

is it possible you timed the ignition at the wrong TDC point? The rotate the AAU by 180°, and I suppose the bike will run.

Hans

frankfast

Postby frankfast » Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 pm

No, I made sure I was on the compression stroke when I set the timing. After I timed it the first time I thought that may have been the case but I checked it again and it was correct.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat May 23, 2020 11:03 pm

frankfast wrote: I kick the bike after bringing it up on the compression stroke. That's when I get the kickback.

Do you go over top dead centre, before letting the kickstart lever come back to the top for a start attempt?

frankfast

Postby frankfast » Sun May 24, 2020 12:53 am

When the bike kicks back, I'm assuming that it's firing as I've timed it 8 degrees BTDC. After it kicks the kick stater immediately goes down as does the piston on the power stroke.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”