change to std bars and footrests

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

change to std bars and footrests

Postby Scottish888 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:51 am

My 1974 Ducati 250 mk3 has the original clip on bars and rearset footrests etc, the bike looks great with that set up but on first riding it I found it too uncomfortable. I am only 1.75m and no extra weight but still find it too awkward to ride with a full face helmet etc.
I would like to convert the bike to the standard bars and footrests, can anyone advise what parts I will need.
The bike has Marzocchi 35 mm front with a drum brake, I think I would need another top yoke with handlebar mounts. The frame has a pivot for a std rear brake.
Does the forward position rear brake use a rod or longer cable, does anyone have pics of the alternative bar and footrest set up for the late MK3?

Regards,

Duccout

Re: change to std bars and footrests

Postby Duccout » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 am

AFAIK, your Mk111 never came with rearsets, I believe that they all were fitted with forward footrests, some with clip-ons and some with high bars. The forward footrests used a cable rear brake cable and all the parts are readily available used on eBay (at a price) I think that the bars may be more of a problem as the top yokes are rare and expensive. You could fit swan-necked clip-ons, which would save you having to change the top yoke. Maybe an ad on here might turn some parts up, as lots of people convert these bikes to clip-ons and rearsets and may have the parts to spare.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:33 pm

(As per Colin ... I didn't think rearsets were original? (see piccies below). Anyways ...)

I've got the parts diagrams and schedules for the 1974 450 Mk3, if you think that might help. Be surprised if the 250 was any different ... Brake is cable activated, btw - as you may be able to see in/work out from the photo.

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Interesting choice of photos, Craig.
The top photo shows the 239 Mark 3 restored by Paddy Barratt outside Made in Italy in Stowmarket UK.
The bottom photo shows a 250 Mark 3 I restored about 20 years ago. Not sure when this photo was taken though. Shortly after I sold it, I would guess.

Jon

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks folks,
I thought that the rear sets were a factory fit, the left side has the fold up foot rest and brake lever tip.
Were they a Ducati factory option available from dealers ? All the rear sets i've seen look the same.
There would have been lots of forward footrests and brake pedals that were just dumped I guess.
So the factory offered clip on bars or high bars with the corresponding top yoke?
I will try with the footrests first, it may feel better.
Better get looking for the parts then :)

Regards

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi
Conversion to the touring trim should be straight forward as long as you can find all the parts. The only issue would be if someone has removed the original pedal pivot and cable anchor etc. Post a picture of the left hand side of the frame behind the engine as that would confirm.

Nigel

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 pm

Widecase rearsets first appeared on silverflake painted desmos.
To convert from forward footrests, brake pivot and cable stop (welded) was usually removed from frame, cable stop made for new position.
Removed parts need to be put back if reverting to forward footrests.
Footpegs can be rigid or folding SCR type. Rigid often cause cracks to crankcase in the event of crash, folding type might be safer.
Footpegs have face serrations to match steel brackets which span from frame to crankcase.
Lots of bits and work to go with forward footrests.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:50 am

Jon Pegler wrote:Interesting choice of photos, Craig.

:D :shock: . I wish I could say I had taken great care in choosing them, Jon - but then I'd be lieing ;) .

(Altho I admit I did recognise the location of the former photo. Blimey - been years and years since I've spoken to John ... And let's hope 'your' 250 is still around somewhere and being put to good use!)

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:03 am

FWIW:

Tav 6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:55 am

Hi,

Regarding Jordan's reply about rearsets. I recall when I wanted to convert my Mark3 to rearsets my reluctance to follow the trend of "hack and weld", so I made my conversion reversible. I have subsequently with the help of the other yoke swamped between the two set ups over the years.

Below are a few pics of my conversion I did 30 years ago, at that time factory rearsets were unavailable and the supply of aftermarcket parts was a fraction of what is available today. The flat plate construction pedals were loosely based on my race rearsets which were made to be cheap, easy to make and easy to repair at the track. You will note the gear pedal was made to sit at a sensible angle and clear the silencer as has been discussed recently on this forum. The light switch is a home made adaptor utilising a Honda handlebar master cylinder switch circa 1980's. The gear linkage is crossed (not seen) to give one down four up change, to be the same as my Morini and Laverda I owned at the same time.

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

Just adding this to show there is an alternative to the usual less reversible conversions. These were a one off and I never reproduced them as I thought it wouldn't be cost viable. An few ideas maybe for others.

Regards Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”