change to std bars and footrests

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: change to std bars and footrests

Postby Duccout » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:28 am

Very nice! Vic Camp used to sell his own rear brake rearset conversion which utilised the standard brake lever pivot point and was a simple fit and forget assembly that required no modifications. I had one on both my 350 and 450 MK111's, but the problem was that there was not enough leverage - I think that he had got the ratios wrong, plus there was two pivot points - and you had to stand on the pedal to get any sort of retardation.

Vic was a lovely bloke, so helpful and kind, who ran his business more like a hobby than a company. His shop was only a mile from my house and I often used to stare through the window at the exotic (well they were after a diet of British bikes) machinery on display. I bought my 350, 450 and 750 Sport from him. His mechanic, Bert Furness, was a grumpy old so and so, though!

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:35 am

Nigel's conservative mods I think are ingenious and quite neat.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks folks,

Nice clean mods Nigel.
Now I look closer at my bike I can see where the mods have been carried out.
I always wondered why the brake light switch was so poorly fitted, having looked at the bracket I can see some lumpy welding underneath and where the original bracket was cut. The bike still has the original brake pivot in place.
That is why the gear lever is not the best shape, all personal mods, I never knew.
Having read what is involved I think I am best to try learn to adapt to ride the bike with the rear sets and get an open face helmet so I can see more of the road in front.
I am going to have to do something about a brake light switch, I got the original working but it looks stupid along with the brake lever level adjustment.
Still learning about these bikes thanks to all on here :)

Regards

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:37 pm

The photos and exploded diagrams are very helpful, thank you for posting.
I really need to change it back to original to make it rideable for more than 30 mins, I 'm wee and fit enough but the riding position puts too much pressure on my arms, maybe ok at 70 but not for me.
It looks fantastic with the clip ons and rear sets but I need to enjoy riding it.
Will a brake pedal from any year do or must it be a wide case type and how do you tell the difference ?
I guess this model only come with the clip ons and the scrambler with a different top yoke and yoke mounted bars or did the street bikes have those too?
Swan necks may be the only way to go to get hgher bars.
A top yoke would not be difficult to machne from billet but I can't get into work to ask my buddies to try make one

Regards

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:58 pm

I think that the narrow case and wide case levers are the same, but if you check the part numbers on line that will confirm it. If you can't find a gear lever, or at least one at a reasonable price, then a modern Ducati reversed gear lever will fit, as the splines are the same. I bet there are plenty of gear levers from Japanese bikes that will fit too. The footrests are easy to find because so many Ducatis were converted to rearsets.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Barleycorn make swan neck bars .

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks guys,
great info.
I was wondering if any modern bike had the same spline size.
I'll check out the bars.

Regards

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Widecase and narrowcase brake pedals are certainly not the same.
The widecase pedal has a small lug on the back of the short arm to activate the brake light switch.
Also, the spindle boss is wider on the narrowcase pedal, the main arm is a different length and shape, being slightly shorter than a widecase one.
Apart from that, they're almost identical.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:44 pm

Installing a standard gear lever backwards is the easiest way to have rearset shift.
I looked but couldn't find any Japanese brake splines the same as Ducati's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:08 pm

modern Ducati's still use the same splines as our singles

you can buy a chinese lever for about 15 or 16 euro including shipping

Eldert

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”