Mototrans Points Advice

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: Mototrans Points Advice

Postby Duccout » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Thank you Max, I'll investigate further.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 pm

Breaker plate adjustment at the end of slots and .035” point gap to get static timing sounds like your ignition timing gear is a tooth off. Have the timing gears been tampered with?
You can set the timing at full advance statically by locking the AAU at full advance. Fit a washer under the screw that fastens the AAU to the ignition shaft such that the washer locks the AAU and prevents the cam from rotating on the AAU pinion. Remove the breaker plate, lever the bobweights on the AAU to full advance position, tighten the AAU fixing screw, replace the breaker plate and proceed with timing at full advance specification. This might avoid the situation you’re encountering with the flywheel magnets rotating the crank at the static timing position.
Matt

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri May 01, 2020 7:12 am

Thank you. When I got the bike the points gap was opened right up and the plate was at the end of the adjustment slots; I've since had all the timing gears apart and refitted them, so I know that the dots are lined up, but the points situation is the same. I may try advancing the timing gear a tooth to see if that is an improvement.

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Fri May 01, 2020 8:03 am

Since posting about filing the heel of the points arm, I have fitted a CDI ignition unit.

With no change to the timing gears, the new points plate equivalent (i.e. the pick up) sits centrally in the adjustment slots provided.
This suggests (to me anyway) that the heel did indeed need filing to bring the gap down.

Filing the heel is easier and less messy than retiming the gears.

Just a thought.
Cheers

Max

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri May 01, 2020 8:07 am

Yes, I'm not too bothered at the moment as I intend to fit a CDI ignition as I gave up on points 40 years ago, so thanks for the info, I'll see what the situation is when I've got the CDI.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”