rich running

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

Re: rich running

Postby Scottish888 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:29 pm

I also don't like the very heavy feel of the Dellorto springs so I will change this carb out.
The biggest issue I can see is the inlet manifold, I will need to mod this one as the Dellorto has a large OD to fit over the inlet.
I may be able to find another more suitable manifold I can adapt.
Thanks for all the helful advice.

Regards,
Alex

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon May 04, 2020 2:54 pm

You are right, the manifolds are a pain if you wish to change to a different make of carb. There is some info on this site about Mikuni carbs, which states (I think) that manifolds are available to suit. You could try Allen's who have a good range of manifolds.

I don't think that your problem is the carb, but that's just a guess!

Dan C

Postby Dan C » Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 am

If you use a Mikuni VM30 it has 40mm OD spigot. This can be mounted directly to a standard 35mm OD Ducati manifold using this rubber boot.

https://www.mikunioz.com/shop/mikuni-ru ... c98ba2045f

I'm sure similar boots will be available in the UK.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue May 05, 2020 8:05 am

Yes, I've seen those on the Allens web site.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm

Thanks all,I ordered a Mikuni VM 30 yesterday, Allens only had settings for a VM34 which I think must have been a 250 racing machine so they will jet it to that spec but I think it will be too rich.
It will be a good starting point, they will supply a rubber sleeve adaptor also.
I have to keep the nylon sleeve on the inlet stub to get the 40mm OD needed for the sleeve adaptor, I think that is meant to be part of the carb but no problem.
I have lots of cable making kit in the garage so new cable is easy.
I wanted to fit my favourite OKO flat slides but the made in Taiwan ones have gone as they switched production to China and the quality much poorer. pity, they were so good before.
Getting a connection to the original air filter will be difficult but hopefully possible, anyone done this?

Regards,

Alex

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue May 05, 2020 2:46 pm

You may be able to find the correct jetting from Sudco in the USA, as I believe that many Ducati singles are fitted with Mikunis there.

I hope that the new carb cures the problem, although I reckon that poor carburation would have shown up at lower revs and a weak spark at higher revs.

Dan C

Postby Dan C » Wed May 06, 2020 12:32 am

Getting a connection to the original air filter will be difficult but hopefully possible, anyone done this?

Agree, it will be difficult. Maybe try with a pod filter first to ensure the carb is the problem?

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed May 06, 2020 6:44 am

Not easy to connect up air filters when you change the carb angle and position. The best bet might be a pair of el cheapo short fork gaiters from eBay.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Mikuni carb users, what air filter have you fitted?
Connection to the original setup would need considerable modification.
I think I will need to find/make manifold adaptor that makes the carb more level and compact. The rubber adaptor pushes the larger Mikuni carb even further back.

Regards

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu May 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Yes, this is a PITA on Ducatis. You may be able to find a K+N that is way offset and will fit into the gap, or do what owners of 900 bevel Ducatis do with the rear cylinder and buy a right angle radiator hose of the correct diameter to fit over the carb inlet, then insert a piece of same size tubing in the other end, to which the pod filter is fixed. By this method you can get the inlet pipe to go round corners.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”