rich running

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

themoudie

Re: rich running

Postby themoudie » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 pm

Aye Alex,

Ignore the Mikuni.

Stuttering, surging and backfire sounds on the weak side to me. So go up one size on the main jet and see how you go.

Quote from AMAL tuning instructions:"If at full throttle the engine runs "heavily" and does not pull at full power, the main jet is generaly too large. If the engine fades and perhaps deteriorates, with possible detonation, then the jet is too small. With the correct size jet the engine should run freely at maximum rpm giving good power. When testing for the correct main jet, give careful attention to the sparking plug readings; the correct colour will be light brown or chocolate brown surrounding the central electrode." Tuning the AMAL, Dellorto and Mikuni all have the same sequence, so using the AMAL method is fine for your Dellorto and the Mikuni.

I thought that you had a good colour on your plug from the image that you posted. But, have you increased the main jet size since removing the tube to the air filter? If not, then I would suspect that going up one or two main jet sizes would be benificial.

As an aside, since fitting my homemade exhaust/silencer that has quietened the rasp, but I have had to go up from a 200 main jet to a 220 and dropped the needle clip by one groove and turned in the air screw by ⅜ of a turn towards the seat and may have to richen further. FICKLE BEASTS! :twisted:

If you have jets for the Mikuni (Chinese? to test, then get OME jets once found) then have a read through DanC' posts in the 'Desmo 450 carb' thread [Desmo_450_carb]. He has a Mikuni 30mm working well on both a 450 and a 350 and he lists their settings.

Keep at it, Bill

Scottish888

sorted

Postby Scottish888 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:43 pm

I received and fitted the correct jets for the Dellorto as per Bills spec sheet.
The bike had 350 size size jets in.
Took it out for a run and it is revving all the way...at last ! I stopped part way and connected the air filter tube (the air filter element is clean and in place) the bike would not pull the revs, it was stuttering. disconnected it again and found full revs :
No way it will run properly with the original filter kit fitted. It is possible that corrugated tube has some destructive airflow patterns.
Will be fitting a new silencer when it arrives that should also improve the performance.
The Dellorto runs very well, the Mikuni was supplied to me with jetting miles out so no chance that was going to run correctly.
The bike is starting easliy and running fine, it took a new Hall effect ignition system, a Dellorto rebuild kit and the correct Dellorto 250 jets.
I also made an aditional inlet manifold seal to ensure tightness.
Last edited by Scottish888 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themoudie

Re: rich running

Postby themoudie » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:44 pm

Aye Alex,

Persistance pays, some bu**er built it, so you can rebuild it and get it to run. :D :D :D Much better than a ring ding! ;)

Steady away with the old bird, just keep the motor in fresh oil every 1,000 miles and don't lug it in the higher gears and you will enjoy riding it. It'll require an ongoing maintanence routine, but then any bike worth it's salt does and that is half the fun. ;)

Good health, Bill

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”