rich running

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: rich running

Postby Duccout » Thu May 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Yes, back plate with points and condenser, advance and regard unit, and a coil. You wouldn't consider an Electrex World kit? A lot of money, but I'm not sure how much a coil set up would cost.....

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 pm

I think that points will be the most reliable setup. I don't want to spend hundreds on another electronic setup

Regards,

Alex

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Fri May 22, 2020 8:33 am

Alex, a points backplate and points from any ducati single 125 to 450 will do you, any condenser will do and any 6volt DC ignition coil will do, just be careful with whatever auto advance /retard unit you get they are not all the same ref their advance range.
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am

I see this stuff on eBay, it's nearly always in the USA, so that postage costs an arm and a leg; just illustrates though how important the Stateside market was. BTW, do any Australian members remember Econoair? I used to get most of my spares from Phil at Road and Race, because the pound was strong and the postage was cheap, but not any more!

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:51 pm

Hi folks,
Have just bought a complete points ignition setup, the advance retard mech and backplate are used but excellent condition and with new points and condenser included.
As you will have read my bike has the Ducati eletronica setup and a Logitron unit, my question is how to wire up the points/coil. I know I will have to put 6 volts through the coil to the points, take that from the Logitron?

Regards

Alex

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat May 30, 2020 5:27 am

Scottish888 wrote: how to wire up the points/coil. I know I will have to put 6 volts through the coil to the points, take that from the Logitron?

Battery power is taken from the ignition switch - the terminal that comes live when it's switched on.
From there, connect to the (+) terminal of the ignition coil.
A wire at the other (-) coil terminal goes to the contact breaker.

A wire from your Logitron rec/reg (marrone colour) goes to either the ignition coil (+) terminal (so there would be two wires there), or the switched terminal of the key switch. Either, so long as it only becomes live when the ignition key is switched on.

You can use the ignition switch you have for the CDI, just don't use the two terminals that act as the ignition cutout.
You won't need them as the engine will cut out when you turn off the key anyway, using the two other terminals.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sat May 30, 2020 7:05 am

Screenshot - 25_05 004.png
Screenshot - 25_05 003.png

Circuit schematics of a w/c single, modified from Ducati CDI to points ignition.

Screenshot - 25_05 002.png
Screenshot - 25_05.png

The CDI version, for reference.

Hans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks guys,

Really good information, I am grateful for your knowledge and advice.

Regards,

Alex

In Two

Postby In Two » Sat May 30, 2020 10:58 am

Hi, I've been following this thread and it has stimulated me to join 'scrubs, just last night.
My '74 250D has been exhibiting similiar symptoms post rebuild, a stuttering misfire at somewhere between 4 and 6 k revs on further opening the throttle, it then sort of settles down but never clears. Opening the 'choke' seems to change /reduce the misfire so I've spent hours rebuilding, cleaning, and replacing bits in the VHB 29A, needle/jet, float height , needle valve etc. but whilst there has been change it hasn't cleared the misfire.
The bike has the original Ducati Electrotecnica CDI? ignition and I think should have heeded my own advice and experience (50 years of bloody Ducatis!)that its nearly always the ignition.
I've got two twins '75 900ss and '74 750 ss the 900 with a RITA and 750 with Sachse and have only just got back to singles so fondly and optimistically thought the eletrotecnica might be o.k. Oh well... Anyway I'm ordering a Sachse for the 250D but in the meantime I wonder if anybody can explain/advise why the bypass/enricher 'choke' would distinctly but variably influence the misfire when partially applied once warmed up and running?
As I understand it it's like a miniature second carb, with an air passage and a single jet bypassing the main venturi, opened by the brass slide so it admits both air and fuel, making diagnosis bloody difficult! Also, where can I get the circular sealing pad ? The carb. rebuild/gasket sets i have seen/bought do not include it.
Thanks for having me on 'scrubs, I probably have met some of you guys on various 'Giros but with everybody hiding behind user names, it's hard to know.
Cheers (stuttering misfire of a name...)
Zed Zawada
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1974 250D yellow
1974 750ss
1975 900ss

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sat May 30, 2020 11:28 am

Hi Zed,
Welcome, I have a 74 250D same as yours, I tried in vain to get it to run nicely on the VHB carb.....(hopeless) so previous experience with many Ducati singles told me to consign the VHB to the original spares box and fit a Mk1 amal concentric with an amal velocity stack.....problem solved. I also didn't even try to run mine on the Ducati electronica ignition I replaced the lot with points and a coil, little bike is currently running like a dream, My 350mk3 is fitted with Lucas rita electronic ignition and that has been totally reliable for over fifteen years now, but I know these are now very hard to get.
Cheers,
George

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”