Tach Drive source?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

MotoMike

Tach Drive source?

Postby MotoMike » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Does anyone know of a source for the tach drive on a 1969 450? It is the non desmo engine. I had the drive at one time, but somewhere along the line, the disc on the end of the gear box popped off and the little drive gear spun out and I now have a nickel in the hole and no tach. If I could find that gear and shaft, I would be happy, but if a replacement box exist's, I guess that is the would go. thanks in advance

Mike

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Tach Drive source?

Postby JimF » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the list. Think about uploading a picture of your bike to your 'welcome' thread posting.

Every now and then a cover with a tach drive in it comes up on eBay. They used to go for big bucks, but I think the prices have settled down.

That aside, let's find out from Ducati Bob if the drive mechanism is the same between wide and narrow case engines. They would seem to be the same by looking at the different parts manuals. It's weird because I have seen different looking (external view) tach drives but the parts books I recall all show the same drawing for the drive.

I may have one tucked away, or may be able to source one for you from a local guy that used to be a dealer in the 60's/70s.

Jim

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:54 pm

1970 450 SCR

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Trenton; Thanks for the Guzzino link to the drive parts.

Mike: Is that what you need? The local guy used to have the full mechanisms less the cam tower cover. Something akin to #800 in this picture...

tach drive.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 pm

" let's find out from Ducati Bob if the drive mechanism is the same between wide and narrow case engines. "

____ I'm recalling at the moment that (not including Mototrans-versions), there were at least 3 different cover-styles (of course all interchangeable), and at least 4 different right-angle drive-unit types (which must be interchangeable to any of the covers, but don't all use the same tach-cable).
So of course they're all interchangeable between w-c & n-c (as far as function-ability).
__ I had been intending to some day post pix of all the different tach-drive models that I know of... may be a while before I can get them all rounded-up together though.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:59 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:I had been intending to some day post pix of all the different tach-drive models that I know of... may be a while before I can get them all rounded-up together though.

Here are a few I have collected.

And mine when I got my bike. It also had a coin glued into the end with no guts.

1970 450 SCR

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Duc Singles Admin wrote:Hi Mike,

Welcome to the list. Think about uploading a picture of your bike to your 'welcome' thread posting.

Every now and then a cover with a tach drive in it comes up on eBay. They used to go for big bucks, but I think the prices have settled down.

That aside, let's find out from Ducati Bob if the drive mechanism is the same between wide and narrow case engines. They would seem to be the same by looking at the different parts manuals. It's weird because I have seen different looking (external view) tach drives but the parts books I recall all show the same drawing for the drive.

I may have one tucked away, or may be able to source one for you from a local guy that used to be a dealer in the 60's/70s.

Jim

Hi Jim
Thanks if you find one let me know.

I will take a picture of the old 450 when I get it dusted off a bit. It is a sad looking bike right at the moment. It is/was a scrambler I think. When I got it, some previous owner had made it into a cafe(ish) racer. it is the one that has the Amal carb and Dunstal pipe. I got a set of decals with it. A painter friend owed me a favor and painted the tank, seat pan and tool boxes for me about 15 years ago. In the following years, I have learned the decals are not correct and infact would be considered blasphemy by some as there are Mk3 tool box decals. I don't plan to restore it, I just want to make it a fun riding bike. I like the cafe style and will keep it like that. It will definately be different around here. At some point I would like to get a muffler that is more in line with the Mk3 as well. One that is a good bit quieter than that Dunstal too!

Incidentally your bike is drool worthy.

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Teckhardt
thanks for the links. The first two, should still be in the motor. the last one Is the ticket. I emailed Barry at Classic. he told me that he gets that part from his suppliers in Italy. he said it will work on all the bevel singles. It will require some minor changes to make it work. the roll pin notch on the replacement part will need to be cut in so that the pin can hold it in place. Or the roll pin hole will need to be tapped and a set screw threaded in to hold the drive in place. that part is 88 GBP shipped to my door. I will consider it if I can't find the drive gear or an original replacement drive.

thanks very much
Mike

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:55 pm

Duc Singles Admin wrote:Trenton; Thanks for the Guzzino link to the drive parts.

Mike: Is that what you need? The local guy used to have the full mechanisms less the cam tower cover. Something akin to #800 in this picture...

tach drive.JPG

Yep, that is the part, however, it doesn't really look like that. as it is more rounded and there is a nickel sized aluminum disc on the end of the shaft that runs into the head. that disc came out and I guess the gear and shaft spun out somewhere on the road. I was told by the shop in San Diego, (Sonny Angel's) Mechanic Donny Angel,that it was not uncommon for this to happen. If I had known before hand, I would have taken measures to prevent it. It looks quite a lot like the drive listed in the Classic site, except it is made of aluminum not, brass. And I dont think it has the threaded plugs on the end of the shafts as Classic's does. If part #800 can be had, I'd be interested.

Thanks
Mike

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 am

Teckhardt wrote:
DewCatTea-Bob wrote:I had been intending to some day post pix of all the different tach-drive models that I know of... may be a while before I can get them all rounded-up together though.

Here are a few I have collected.

And mine when I got my bike. It also had a coin glued into the end with no guts.

Teckharrdt.

thanks. I had no idea there were so many. Mine looks like the last one. I'd say identical. So they will all fit, but the tach cable might be different?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”