Tach Drive source?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Eldert

Re: Tach Drive source?

Postby Eldert » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:06 am

Hi Mike

dont buy the same CEV aluminum body angle drive you had . i seen lots of them blow out the round end piece and the shaft with the gear on it . sometimes the coupling stays in there and get stuck between the upper bevelgears and cause lots of damage .

here are 2 more types of revcounterdrives . they al take the same cable exept for the right one in my picture

Eldert

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 am

MotoMike wrote:I emailed Barry at Classic. he told me that he gets that part from his suppliers in Italy. he said it will work on all the bevel singles. It will require some minor changes to make it work. the roll pin notch on the replacement part will need to be cut in so that the pin can hold it in place. Or the roll pin hole will need to be tapped and a set screw threaded in to hold the drive in place. that part is 88 GBP shipped to my door. I will consider it if I can't find the drive gear or an original replacement drive.

That one sounds like the ticket since the original CEV part is garbage.
1970 450 SCR

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:25 am

It should probably be noted that while the drive itself MAY work on all bevel singles, the casting that holds it is NOT the same throughout the line up. The smaller bikes have four-bolt covers, the later bikes have three-bolt covers...

I get nervous when someone says something will work on ALL bevel singles, I've seen too many cases of gear gazers begin advertised as fitting all singles when it's obvious they only fit the 175cc and up versions... I advised one guy of this and he thanked me... but never changed the part description on his site!

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:28 am

" So they will all fit, but the tach cable might be different? "

____ Most of them use the standard Italian type tach-cable but, at least one of the many tach-drives' threaded cable-receptacles are made to accept cables which have a smaller sized threaded-ring, such as those on cables meant to fit Brit-made tachometers.
__ A couple pix of the related R.angle-drive, below.
If anyone else has another type of nonItalian-type cable-drive than this one, PLEASE post a pic of yours !

Dukaddy DUKEs,
DCT-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:56 am

That right angle drive that's for sale $ (80pounds) would have to have a groove machined in it to install the roll pin that holds the right angle drive,to the drive cover. ei seller classic bike .com
Capt Paul

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:21 am

You all have given me quite an education. Don't suppose there is a tach drive in anyones parts box collecting dust? I guess about $100 for the drive from Classic Ducati is not a bad deal.

Regards,
Mike
pm me ;)

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Check with krupp13 - Jeff's got parts up the wazoo !!!

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:10 am

ajleone wrote:Check with krupp13 - Jeff's got parts up the wazoo !!!

Thanks aj
PM sent.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:42 am

just a head's up: I saw a tach drive on eBay in Italy: 320572687962

I will delete this post when the auction expires.

.... ummmm .... This is an "upside down" one. Perhaps this is for a very small displacement? Like the 98cc?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:04 am

DSA
thanks, I'm still on the search. that one seems to be huge or the cover seems tiny. won't it drive the tach in the wrong direction?
/ will have to think about it.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”