Tach Drive source?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

MotoMike

Re: Tach Drive source?

Postby MotoMike » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi everybody

Something else occured to me. some of the posts, indicate that the gear that is missing on theirs is the one whose shaft goes into the head. Mine is missing the shaft that goes to and is in line with the cable. the cover of which is rear facing. So, if you have a CEV drive that the right facing cover failed and the shaft going into the head is missing, we could have a match and I'd gladly take that sucker off your hands.

regards,
Mike

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Well I have watched a few tach drives go on Ebay. most recently one in Germany that went for about $256.00. It was a CEV I think, came with bevel cover and tach cable, but still on the high side I thought.

I have just ordered the one from Classic Ducati. should have done it when I first found it as the pound to dollar ratio was more favorable then. Anyway it is on its way. I'll let you know how it turns out.

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:05 pm

I received the tach drive From Barry at Classic. It is brass and seems to be well made. It arrived with a grease zert affixed. It also arrived with the ouput spinning in the wrong directon. These tach drives can be made to spin in either direction so it had to be dissassembled and then configured to rotate the other way. I will soon be reassembling it after I sort a couple problems. A problem I note with this gear box is that the length of the housing that fits into the bevel cover is longer than the stock unit. This means you have to be carful to depth it the same as the original before you employ which ever means you decide on to secure it in the bevel cover. It also means that the o ring that fits in the end of the bevel cover will not be compressed by the gear box where it shoulders out. In the stock unit, it fits tight against the bevel cover boss and squeezes the o ring a bit which will cause it to seal against the housing that goes through the bevel cover. the space between the o ring seat and the replacement gear box body is about a 16th of an inch, so sealing it will either require an extra fat o ring or a collar/spacer/washer on the shaft housing to take up that space and compress the stock dimension o ring. I'll let you know how it pans out.

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 am

I got it installed and checked out tonight. I initially thought of depthing the new shaft the same as the old one, but found that the old shaft had quite a bit of end float. Additionally, the fit where the roll pin locked the housing into the bevel cover also had play, so I was not sure just how deep to install the new one.

So here is what I did. I assembled the coupler and spinner and installed the new drive without cutting a notch in the housing. I snugged up the bevel cover bolts. I rotated the drive to where it lined up nicely with the tach cable. I then pushed the drive box it in till it shouldered out against the cam. measured the gap between the drive and the bevel cover with feeler gauges. I then pulled it back out an aditional 10 thou. I then held it in place with the feeler gauges in place to maintain the depth. I had previously bought a couple roll pins that fit. I had drilled one out so that a 7/64th drill bit fit through it smoothly. I used that roll pin as a drill guide and drilled a 7/64' groove in the housing shaft. I then took it all apart again and took the cover and the drive to the work bench where I used a couple small round files to enlarge the notch slowly. the groove I drilled showed the proper alignment so by being carful as I enlarged it and frequently checking the fit in the bevel cover, I got it to where I had a nice fit. Since the housing no longer fit tight against the bevel cover, an O ring would not have sealed the housing. So I coated the housing with "form a gasket" reassembled and installed a new roll pin. Reassembled with a new bevel gasket and tried it out. Yay... I have a functioning tach and no perceptable noise from the tach drive! I'll get a picture or two posted soon.

It has been a long path this tach drive and I have gotten a lot of advice and help from many members and a couple of very good venders.

One more problem sorted. Now on to the next. :D

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”