Welcome new members

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Rosso Jr

Re: Welcome new members

Postby Rosso Jr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Hello all,

I've been reading some of the threads on electrics and figured it's time I signed on officially. I recently bought a 1966 160 Monza Junior and so am trying to learn more about it. The bike looks pretty good, is mostly original as far as I can tell, and runs great. (Except for the brake light)
95825144_1thumb_550x410.jpg

Special hello to you, 10531. My other Italian machine has 4 wheels - a 1969 Alfa 1750 GTV. I'm looking forward to the end of Missouri winter so I can exercise them both.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

botsian

Postby botsian » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi to everyone

Happy to find this site. I ran Duke singles when I was a student, and now am restoring an RT450. Also own 600 Pantah.

Cheers

Ian

mongo

Postby mongo » Tue May 18, 2010 2:03 am

This is the first motorcycle I ever got a ride on....in 1968.

My uncles 66 250 (not sure of the year or model, he's going to get me the title this week)

3500 original miles, it's been in a garage under a blanket for the last 27 years.
After about a half hour replacing the oil, lubing the cylinder, and fogging the carb with a little 2 stroke fuel to prime it, it fired up and ran pretty darn good after a dozen or so kicks. It gave me a little kick back too, my foot's still a little sore.

Rode it around the block a few times, took a minute to figure out the one up-four down shift pattern. Rides well, but 40+ yr old tires are a bit scary. I filled the up with a bicycle pump, you could hear the inner tubes creaking and cracking for quite a few minutes.

I'm in the Detroit MI area, hope to have it cleaned up and ready for some nice around town riding.

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:56 am

lucky duc :).. looks like a nice ride and cant wait to see what your plans are.

mongo

Postby mongo » Tue May 18, 2010 3:03 am

Well, I mostly plan to clean it up, put the original tank back on (yes, I have it :mrgreen: ) and ride it. Maybe do some restoration.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue May 18, 2010 3:17 pm

By: 'mongo' ...
" My uncles 66 250 (not sure of the year or model, "

____ It appears to be a 1965 Mark-3 model.
If you'll list the first three digits of it's motor number, I'll then be able to tell you if it's even older.
Also, please note if it also has 'M3' stamped next to the 'DM250', (found on the motor-case in front of the cylinder). _ If it's really a 1966-model, then you should see the M3 added to it.

____ Glad to have you here!

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

mongo

Postby mongo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:33 am

Motor is stamped DM 250

Frame tag has 250 D 3

S/N's match.

Also, magneto only ignition, no key (!) never had one as far as I know.

I think the whole bike has maybe 5 wires.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed May 19, 2010 4:58 am

" Motor is stamped DM 250 "

____ All 250 motor-cases are marked with "DM250" !
Your 'motor-number' is just across the motor-case division from the 'DM250' ! _ It should be something like: 88123 or 88765 or 89012, or the like.
Just need to know the first three digits only, such as 890## , in order to figure what year it was made.

" Also, magneto only ignition, no key (!) never had one as far as I know. "

____ Right! _ That's how all narrow-case Mark-3 models came stock !

" I think the whole bike has maybe 5 wires. "

____ Those Mk3 models shared the same wiring-system with the narrow-case Motocross models and had the simplest wiring-system of any DUKE-model.
__ The power-output black-cable (coming-out from right-next to the starter-lever), should have 3 wire-leads - 1 RED; 1 WHITE; & 1 YELLOW ...
Most workshop-manuals do not indicate the colors if those three wires ! _ So people who acquire Mk3-DUKEs which have been torn-down, do not have any sure way to determine which wire goes to which circuit !
So it would be nice if you could look at your wires and tell us if the RED-wire goes to the light switch, or if the WHITE-wire goes to the brake-light switch, or which/what-ever. _ As we only need to know where any ONE of those wires go to, in order to figure where all 3 should go !
(NOTE that the WHITE-wire looks almost as yellow as the YELLOW-wire [due to aged-oxidation]!)

____ Also, if your tachometer works, then how about giving us your opinion on how high your engine needs to rev in order for your head-light to be adequately bright enough for use during the dark of night.

____ It would be much appreciated if you could help-out with the above information-gathering, from your seemingly stock Mark-3 !
Thanks for any help you can give!

Mk3.DUKE-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

mongo

Postby mongo » Wed May 19, 2010 11:49 am

SCHWEET!

Case # is 88012...

I will get the rest of the info later today!

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed May 19, 2010 2:01 pm

" Case # is 88012... "

Your Mk3 is closer to the 1964/1965 model-year change-over than any other Mk3 that I've ever learned of !
So we can't be sure if you have the large-valve model or not, just by that motor-number info alone...
Please tell what size your SSI-carb is. - (I'm figuring it's a 27mm.)

" I will get the rest of the info later today. "

____ Thanks much, but please don't feel rushed & do it whenever most convenient for yourself.

Thankful-Cheers,
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”