Welcome new members

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Pauly

Re: Welcome new members

Postby Pauly » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm really glad there is a singles specific forum, even with just a few posts it seems to have some good content and members. I'm looking forward to using this forum as a resource as well as contributing to it.

This is one of my Singles (the one that's all together), and as I build the rest I'll post more photos.

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Pauly wrote:
I'm really glad there is a singles specific forum, even with just a few posts it seems to have some good content and members. I'm looking forward to using this forum as a resource as well as contributing to it.

My thinking also, look at Microsoft started in a garage, know telling where this forum will go, (probably stay in the garage) :lol:

Desmoto-M.3

Postby Desmoto-M.3 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:43 am

Happy greeetings to all here!

I have been around these kind of old Ducatis for almost all my life. But i never had owned one of my own until my Father passed on, 2 years ago.
I have only one Ducati now, plus a few broken spare parts.
My father once had 5 different mid 1960s models , a 1965 Monza, a 1966 Scrambler, a 1967 w.c 250 SCR , a 1968 350 Desmo, and a 1966 250 Mark 3 .
Except for the Monza and the Desmo, he was the original owner of all them.
He began selling them off starting in the late 1990s until he only had one left, his favorite.
Now I have it and it's very special to me!
It's the 250Mark3 and it has the head from the Desmo on it and a 350 SCR piston installed too. The original head from it was sold on the 350 -- anybody know of anyone who has a Desmo style model with a springer head in the E.Chicago, Indiana area?
My Dad and a friend of his did the head swap work to it around mid 1970s when i was just a kid. I remember that my Dad was pretty upset for a long time that switching the heads was too much more harder to do than they thought before they started the job.
Afterwords, my Dad always said he was sorry about doing the head swap because he said it wasn't as fun to ride afterwords. But he also claimed that the 350 got more fun to ride, after the head swap. So he did not want to do all the work to put the heads back, like before.
Isn't the DESMO head supposed to be better, just like my Dad was told by all others?
I'm a little afraid to rev the engine all the way out , but it will really rev way up there!
With the DESMO head, it has to be at least as fast as a stock 250 Mark 3, right?
The problems i have with it are
the big original tank has small leaks around the bottom near the fuel spouts, so i got a chromed tank from a 350 SCR on it, until i get the leaks fixed ,
it hurts back against my foot sometimes when i try to start it ,
it won't idle by itself for more than a few seconds at a time ,
the speedometer is too hard to read because the needle bounces all around at most rpms ,
and i don't like to ride it after dark because the headlight is so weak below 5000rpm .
If anyone else has faced and fixed any of these same problems, please post what you did for yours.

Thank You in advance!
Ken
PS - I am very glad that this site is here for me to see all you others with old Ducatis too!

jezza

Postby jezza » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:15 am

Hello everyone,

I'm from the UK and as a young man rode bevel twins. I have always wanted a single, but it has taken me nearly 30 years to realise that particular dream with the rather rough example pictured. The day I picked it up I was the happiest man alive.

In the 10 months since I bought the bike, I have dismantled the engine completely and the engine cases have been repaired and vapour blasted. Next job will be the crankshaft.

It's fantastic to have this forum for the singles, so a big thank you Jim Franzen for setting it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dsmess

Postby dsmess » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello Guys,
I've been a bevel enthusiast for many years. I traded my first bike, a Honda S90 for a beat up 250 scrambler in 1968. A year later I found a clean Mark 3 with rod knock. I swapped the lower ends from the scrambler and had a terrific bike which I sold after I got married...but I stored the 250 M1 lower end (yes my Mark 3 had an M1 case). Now after over 40 years I am rebuilding it.
I also have an unrestored 250 Mark 3 that is in pretty nice shape.
Regards,
Scott

remery

Postby remery » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:58 am

Hi i'm Rob I restored my 1968 350 MKIIID about 25 years ago. I looks nicer now with proper decals but I can't find a photo.

Image Image

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:35 am

By 10531 : ...
" Front forks are bent, but not badly, so I'll get them straightened no problem. "

____ If the tubes really aren't bent too bad, then suggest that you don't bother to get them straightened until after you have all other issues worked-out,, cuz until then, you can just twist the left-tube clockwise & the right-tube counter-clockwise (somewhere between 90 to 180 degrees, each), and then be-good-(enough)-to-go once a front-wheel has been mounted.
____ Canada was luckier than the U.S. since they got a better selection of DUKE-models imported into their country! _ (DARN Berliner!)
__ Could you also tell us the motor-number of your '72-350 ?

WelcomeCheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

SubaruPaul

Postby SubaruPaul » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:20 am

Looks like I found what I was looking for!! Thanks DesmoDog for directing me here!!!

Lower budget than most Ducati folks but my heart is in it like when I first got bit many many years ago. Luckily I bought a good amount of parts way back when from folks like Freddy Marsh ,Syd Tunstall ,Cosmo. , etc..... when prices were fairly reasonable.

Cheers!
Paul

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi Paul,

Glad you made it over here, the more the merrier! :mrgreen:

Syd's is still around but they have zero internet presence so you need to call. Domiracer has some parts for decent prices. I also get some things from Guzzino.com and poke around Bevel Heaven to see what Steve has. Then there are a few places in other parts of the world like Road and Race, Desmo, and a few others I'm forgetting...

One reason I started playing with singles (but not the ONLY reason) was they weren't as expensive as the bevel twins, but it seems I end up dumping a lot of money into them anyway. Luckily projects take me a long time to complete so I have a lot of years to spread out the costs!

SubaruPaul

Postby SubaruPaul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Oh yeah,Domiracer / AccessoryMart . Spent good money with them way back when. I did get another catalog from them last year after a decade or more absence, Prices wen up and stock went way down....but still a source.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”