Welcome new members

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Daniil

Welcome new members

Postby Daniil » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:25 pm

Hello fellas. Hope this board becomes a good source of Ducati Singles info, photos, classifieds etc. Please feel free to post and introduce yourselves. I am, for example, a proud owner of 1969 Ducati Mark 3 Desmo. Here is a pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thevin

Re: Welcome new members

Postby Thevin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:28 pm

Very nice bike,I tried to post a couple of mine but my pictures are too big, I'll try later..

It'll be cool to see this site grow, and will be nice to be exclusive to singles.

I'm from Spring Lake, MI. and have around about 6 single ranging from a 125 to 450.

blabber

Postby blabber » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:53 pm

hello-just found this place,i dont have a single at the moment but know a few people who do.
if you post a link here you may get some interest
http://bevelducati.proboards.com/index.cgi
steve

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:52 pm

Here is my Ducati Mach 1. I really love this bike for the sheer fun that it is to ride a 25hp 250 pound motorcycle at what feels like 25" off the ground.

It is not without problems however. Running with the headlight on (required by law here) causes the battery to slowly go dead, and when it's dead the bike will not start at all. If the battery gets too low the engine runs irregularly. I think that there permanent magnets in the stator that might have lost their magnetism over the years.

Also I get that weird thing where the kick start lever suddenly disengages on a kick, maybe one out of twenty times this will happen. I believe this requires the cases to be split to effect the repair.

Jim Franzen
Northern Illinois
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

captpaul

Re: Welcome new members(mach 1)

Postby captpaul » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:31 am

On your Mach 1, lean the bike over on right side, and rest it on something soft,(not with a full tank of fuel,) then remove kick start lever, remove the clutch cover, and the kick start parts are right in easy access, probably chipped teeth on start mechanism,just replace worn parts and reassemble,should be an easy repair

captpaul

Postby captpaul » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:55 am

Hi all;
Capt Paul here, I live in Hudson Florida, near Tampa Florida.
I 've owned and ridden Ducati singles since 1962,first one 200 Ducati
since then I've owned about 15 singles from 125 bronco to 450mk 3.
I repair all my own and restore all of my own,(paint,rebuilding ect).
I've never owned a desmo, all spring head models. I am interested in all Ducatis
And willing to help with tech info, I also belong to Ducati push rod singles.

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:35 am

A little small but you get the picture...

I have a 125, 2 160's , 2 250's, 350, along with this this 250 Monza and 450 SCR/jupiter, I kind of have a habit of picking these thing's up..

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:05 pm

"Also I get that weird thing where the kick start lever suddenly disengages on a kick, maybe one out of twenty times this will happen. I believe this requires the cases to be split to effect the repair."
-Jim Franzen

____ WELL Jim, MY GUESS IS THAT YOU HAVE THE OLDER MODEL WITH LEAF-SPRINGS... IF I'M RIGHT, THEN YOU'LL FIND THAT LEANING YOUR (older narrow-case) DUKE TO THE RIGHT BEFORE KICKING, WILL REDUCE THE PROBLEM (of lever slippage).
IF SO, THEN WHAT'S OCCURRING IS THAT THE ENGAGEMENT-SPRING IS NOT PUSHING THE STARTER-GEAR FULLY INTO ENGAGEMENT WITH THE STARTER-TEETH OF 1st-GEAR.
THAT'S A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THE OLDER MODELS THAT USE THE LEAF-SPRINGS (instead of the coil-spring used on the newer n-c models), WHICH GET BENT BACK OUT OF SHAPE DURING KICK-BACKS !
__ THE COMMON FIX IS TO REPLACE THE 2 BENT SPRINGS WITH 3 NEW ONES... BUT THAT DOESN'T LAST EITHER!
I'VE ADDRESSED THE PROBLEM IN A NUMBER OF WAYS... YOU COULD RE-BEND THE SPRINGS BACK TO NORMAL, AND REPLACE THE BOLT-WASHER WITH A (correctly sized) STRIP OF METAL INSTEAD, SO AS TO BACK-UP THE SPRINGS (so that they can't get bent as far during a kick-back).
OR YOU COULD LEAVE THE LEAF-SPRINGS SOMEWHAT BENT AS THEY'VE BECOME, AND PUT A SUITABLE COIL-SPRING BETWEEN THEM AND THE STARTER-GEAR.
OR YOU COULD GET & INSTALL THE COIL-SPRING & IT'S BRACKET FROM A TRUE-1966 NARROW-CASE MODEL. BUT THE BRACKET OUGHT TO BE MODIFIED A BIT.
IF NEEDED, I COULD GIVE YOU MORE DETAILS... PLEASE JUST ASK WHATEVER DETAILs YOU WISH.
____ THERE'S NO NEED TO SPLIT THE MOTOR-CASES (for any n-c motor)! ... JUST REMOVE THE PRIMARY-COVER AND HAVE A LOOK-SEE AT THE STARTER-SHAFT AREA INSIDE THERE, (just as has already been suggested by another responder to this issue).
__ IF THIS PROBLEM IS NOT ADDRESSED, YOU THEN POSSIBLY RUN THE RISK OF BADLY WEARING THE TIPS ON THE STARTER-TEETH* ON BOTH GEARS* INVOLVED. (*THE RELATED TEETH ON 1st-GEAR, NOT THE STARTER-SHAFT.)

______ AN IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL... KEEP YOUR DUKE's OIL FRESH & AT THE CORRECT LEVEL!!
I FIND THAT TOO MANY OWNERS LEAVE THEIR PETCOCKS TURNED ON, AND THUS RUIN THE OIL (with fuel)!

DUCATIly,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi,
Tony from NY here. Looks like some good chat and information on Ducati singles. I have a few bikes, 250 scrambers, 450 Jupiter and 450 MK3. Getting going on a Diana and Bronco also. FWIW - I put together a site, using google sites - It's easy and free. Check it out: http://www.coolitalianbikes.com

Look forward to seeing and hearing what others are doing with their Duc singles...
Tony

velotwin

Postby velotwin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:17 am

Hello,
My name is Ian and I just added this site as a link, I own a 1965 Diana MK3, which I restored to concourse level with the help of my friend in our spare time. I hope to find specific information, and to possibly help others with their projects. I appreciate the opportunity to be a Ducati Singles owner, and a motorcycle enthusiast.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”