Ducati 350 timing issue or failed cdi?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: Ducati 350 timing issue or failed cdi?

Postby Ventodue » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 am

Ducati350ontario wrote:The engine number is DM350 07211. The guy I bought it off of said he thought its a wide case scrambler and likely a 1969.

Date-wise, that sounds right. Your number falls within the range that Ian Falloon gives for the 350 SCR* 1969-70 (05496 - 11051); and he adds to that by saying that numbers around 0900 coincided with a new frame homologation number brought in in April 1970. So yeah: 1969.

* I see it was called a "SSS" - Street-Scrambler-Sport - in the States, according to Ian.

Ducati350ontario wrote: It has "made in Italy" on both sides of the motor and also on top of the bevel housing . I'm assuming its not a moto-trans?

Yup, it's a Bologna bike.

(And it's "Mototrans", btw ;) ).

Ducati350ontario

Postby Ducati350ontario » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:50 pm

It wasn't the timing. Checked static timing again, then put a timing light on it, ......all good.

Decided i should give the carb a good cleaning. Im still laughing at this....

The 930 amal premier carb i have on there allows you to remove the main jet or the needle jet (with the main jet) without taking the float bowl off. Just before i tore the motor apart i was tuning the carb and for some reason while resizing the main jet just never put one back in.

Ive done alott of stupid things in my time..... but im still shaking my head over this.

On a positive note.... how many of you guys can honestly say YOUR QAULIFIED TO HID YOUR OWN EASTER EGGS!

Thanks for your time.
Jeff

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:55 pm

Well, I don't know how old you are, but that qualifies as a 'senior moment' and we've all had them. Glad that you got it sorted and it didn't cost anything.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:25 pm

Your little "experiment" proves again, that the size of the main jet does not really matter below 1/4 or 3/8th throttle.
I believe we all more or less do stupid things in our lives. Don't bother ...

cheers Hans

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”