Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

themoudie

Re: Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Postby themoudie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:59 am

Aye Colin,

Pleased that removing the air filter and pipe has cured the problem. Personaly, I wouldn't try any replacement set-up and would run it as it now is. ;)

Yes, I have already made the change to 428 chain and whilst I did have a lumpier cam in it, I have now returned to a white (standard) cam in the 450, with a less than 10:1 compression and standard diameter valves. So, a "soft" engine.

I have to agree with your final sentence
I can never put my finger on why Ducati Singles are so great to ride, but possibly it is due to the light weight, torquey, responsive engine, fine steering and that thumping exhaust note in the background.

Good health, Bill

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 am

I have had the pleasure in the recent past to ride two sought after and very valuable classic racing motorcycles.....a mk8 KTT Velocette and an AJS 7R both 350cc and both an absolute delight to ride.......but guess what? my 350mk3 is just as lovely to ride and maybe even a little better (mostly in the braking dept) at a fraction of the cost or worry to own. Just my own opinion of course.
Cheers,
George

George

Postby George » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:30 am

Hi Colin not logged on for a while. Reading through high rev troubles is classic symptoms of not enough air at higher revs making mixture rich. Typical result of a blocked filter. I would agree with other posts leave filter off. You only cover low mileage and will be years before engine wears. Pleased to see you are enjoying the Strada.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:55 pm

Thanks guys. Another real plus point about Ducati Singles is their simplicity (bevel gears aside, perhaps) which makes working on them so easy. If anyone here has ever worked on a bevel vee twin, especially an electric start one, then they will know of the amount of effort needed to get the rear head off, but the Singles are so easy in comparison. And as for modern Ducatis..........

I think that the Spanish Strada and Forza Singles are very good buys for someone whom is looking for a cheaper way into Ducati ownership; they have 12v electrics and are practical but prices are quite a bit lower than the earlier models, and miles lower than the Italian made bikes. I have seen a couple of well-sorted Forzas sold recently for less than £3000, and although the styling does not inspire people like the Mark 111s, Desmos, Scramblers, 24 Horas and Ventos, they are still nice bikes. Cycle parts are hard to come by in the UK, and it is a pity that there are not closer links between the UK and Spain, as there are tons of spares available on Spanish web sites, but most sellers will not send to the UK, which was the same before Brexit, but that has not helped.

Colin

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:40 pm

Your are correct re bevel twins Colin,
I’m in the painful and expensive process of restoring a ‘77 Drama at present.
Ducati lost the plot with bevel twins compared to the earlier singles. Every thing is rubber mounted, weighs a ton and is complicated.. the dash and ignition wiring is ridiculous.
Nearly everything is twice the price of singles parts.
Graeme

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 pm

And there are two of everything as well! I can never get the idiot lights back in place once they have been removed........

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Leaking fork seal! When I refurbed the forks, one stanchion had three tiny pits in the chrome at the bearing area, which I hope that I would get away with, but obviously not, so I rang Philpotts and booked it in for rechroming, and they told me that the waiting time was six weeks. Oh well, it is Winter.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:21 pm

The forks turned out to be quite a saga. When I put the bike on the road originally the forks were in a state, and one stanchion had some pits in the chrome, but I put it together anyway in order to get the bike running, and filed the forks under 'future project'. Inevitably the pitted leg began to leak even though it had only three tiny pits in the chrome.

I sent the stanchion to Philpotts for re-chroming and turned my attention to the oil seal. The seal holder that screws into the top of the Telesco sliders is very vulnerable to accident damage and both of mine were knocked about and no longer round. I could not find any replacements; I am hoping that Jesus Guzman may commission some. I managed to get the seal holders roughly round and then to press a 45mm bearing into them, and then tap around the outside with a copper mallet to get them reasonably round, but the seals were very tight to press in. This time I hit upon the idea of holding the bottom of the seal holder in the outside jaws of the lathe chuck and gently boring the seat for the seal until it was round, which seems to have worked, but we'll see.

Anyway, when the stanchion came back from chroming I reassembled the leg and was good to go, but I had bought some different gaiters, and in the process of fitting one to the good fork leg, I discovered a great chunk of chrome missing! Grrrrrr. So that stanchion went off for plating.

Philpotts rang today and the stanchion should be here tomorrow, so hopefully things will be back together in time for the next lock down. Philpotts are more expensive than their competitors, but are a much more professional outfit, and the process is very easy - they arrange for pick-up and delivery and do a great job.

Colin

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:21 pm

I was itching to give the rebuilt forks a road test, and I hadn't been out on the 250 for weeks while it was laid up, so in spite of the weather I took it for a little run. It would be pushing it to say that it was enjoyable, what with all the slippery muck on the roads, but the little bike ran flawlessly.

As I rode along I mused on the irony of my admiring these bikes in Spain all those years ago, never thinking that I might end up owning one. I wonder why nobody imported Forzas and Stradas when they were new? As far as I remember the exchange rate with the Peseta was favourable.

Colin

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:22 pm

Aye Colin,

Just too boggin' here today for a canter. Brine on the road, 2.5°C max, continuous steady rain, mist and everybody dashing about "shopping" for yet MORE of anything! :roll:

Pleased to read that you are enjoying the wee beastie. Mine is ready to go, once I refill the fuel tank.

Good health, Bill

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”