Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

double diamond

Re: Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Postby double diamond » Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Perhaps use the NC single spring 0550.12.040 which is 119mm in length? I also have one that I believe is mislabeled that is 110mm.
Did I read correctly in a previous post that you were quoted £500 for lower bevels? Seems excessive. I have a Spanish crankshaft bevel I would part with for a fraction of that. If you need the lower towershaft bevel, I could probably put together a set. When you had the timing cover off, did you notice if the plastic ignition timing gear was still installed?

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun May 10, 2020 11:12 am

Hi,

No, I was quoting £500 for bottom bevel and oil pump, but thanks for the offer for the bevels, I'll see how I go. Strangely, the plastic oil pump gear has been replaced with a metal one, and I don't know if a p.o. Has done this or whether Mototrans switched to them on the later models.

Thank you for the info on the springs, I've made a note. The trouble with Mototrans part numbers is that there is no way of knowing if the part is the same as a Ducati part, or if Mototrans changed the part but kept the same part number.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon May 11, 2020 10:12 am

Duccout wrote:<snip> the Mototrans PT spring is 0440 12 040, the same as singles and bevel twins

"PT" as in Parallel Twin, Colin? Well, there may be the source of your problem ...

Now, while my Strada parts book doesn't have a page for the centre stand, my Road parts book does. And ...

Part number 0550.12.040 :D .

And while waiting for Mr Pegler to tell me otherwise :D , I reckon your Strada frame is closer to the Road frame than a PT frame ;)
(18" wheels, front and back, on the Road, btw)

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon May 11, 2020 10:16 am

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Mon May 11, 2020 10:44 am

The Strada parts book shows the centre stand spring with part no. 0440.12.040, which as Colin says is the same part number as fitted to the parallel twins and V-twins.
However that is the wrong number for the actual spring fitted to a Strada or Forza, which should be 0550.12.040.
This is a standard narrow or widecase centre stand spring.
That said, I think I did once fit the V-twin spring to a Forza once.
The early Forzas had the centre stand spring in the LHS, but this was changed to the RHS for later Forzas and Stradas due to the fitting of a prop stand bracket, which interfered with the spring.
Possibly the early Forzas used the V-twin spring and the parts book was never changed.
Without taking off a whole load of centre stands and measuring the spring lengths I can't quirt remember what I have fitted to what over the years.
So Craig , you are correct in identifying the spring Colin requires, 0550.12.040 ,although Colin is correct in that the Strada frame is really an adapted parallel twin frame, not a Road frame.
The widecase Roads are more or less copies of the Italian widecase frame.

Jon

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Thank you for the replies, sometimes it's all a mystery, particularly as I don't see any reason why Mototrans should stick rigidly to Ducati's part numbers. I'm hoping that my centre stand spring will be OK, it certainly took some getting on, but if not I'll get the normal Singles spring.

BTW, it's a hell of a heave to get the bike on the stand, the back wheel is way too high off the ground.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon May 11, 2020 12:09 pm

Jon Pegler wrote: So Craig , you are correct in identifying the spring Colin requires, 0550.12.040 ,although Colin is correct in that the Strada frame is really an adapted parallel twin frame, not a Road frame.

Hey, by hook or by crook, we get there in the end ... :D .

Btw, any chance you've a pdf of that particular Strada parts manual, Jon?

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Have you got the correct length rear shock absorbers? 320mm
Have you got the lifting handle fitted between the rear frame loop and the top LH shock mount?
Without these items it is a bit of a heave to get a Strada onto it's centre stand.

Jon

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon May 11, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi Jon,

I have the lifting handle and I believe that the shock absorbers are the original, but I will measure them and see if they are 320 mm. Thanks for the info.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon May 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Duccout wrote: ... as I don't see any reason why Mototrans should stick rigidly to Ducati's part numbers.

Simply 'cos Mototrans started out as a 'production under licence' operation, working to Bologna drawings and therefore following Bologna's inventory system. And in any inventory system, once a part's been allocated a number, it keeps it. So even after Bologna had ceased production of the singles, Barcelona wasn't going to 're-inventorise' all its thousands of parts ... :o

As an aside ..
The numbering system that Ducati used after 1961* works like this: the first 4 digits identify the model of bike on which the part was first used; the second two, where it was (mainly) used; the last two, any of its specifics.

So with your centre stand spring, the 0550 straight way tells me it's been around a long time. With a low number like that - and as has been pointed out - it has to be a narrow-case part. And yes ... there it is in my 250 parts book which is either 1961 or 1962.

The 12 indicates it belongs in the Group CA (CA = cavalletti = stands).

And the 040? Read on ... :)

* Before that, it was a alpha-numeric system. But it still worked on the same principle. So, for example, the centre stand spring for a 1959 200 Elite has the number 200VS.CA 54. So you can see the similarities in the systems.

But this spring was a mere 110mm long. Which may at least partly explain why 'your' spring ends in 040, not 54 ;)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”