Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Postby Duccout » Mon May 04, 2020 11:18 am

She runs! Received my new stainless steel Guzzi exhaust ring this morning, and it fits beautifully, so after the exhaust was on, thought I'd see if the little bike would run; petrol in the tank and on the second kick the engine started!

It has been a long road and there is a long road ahead (pardon the pun). I bought this bike because I wanted something to fiddle with during retirement and missed owning a Ducati Single, also I was finding my 900 and 1000 Ducatis increasingly heavy to move around and thought that a small Ducati may be the answer. I was hoping to get one that was sound, probably needing a new big-end and a rebore and some restoration, but what I got was something that was in a very poor state, although the big-end and bore are fairly sound (at the moment).

I'm on a limited budget and can't justify spending thousands on a hobby, so it was a case of repair and make do if possible. I have a list of parts that I have bought that is longer than a lockdown hoarder's supermarket shop, but should have been much longer. The bike needs a new oil pump, new bottom bevels (£500 there) exhaust thread repair, new swinging arm bushes and pin (unavailable I believe) new ignition system, rewire, new exhaust system, respray, frame powder coating, new tyres, new battery........ Quite frightening really.

I will get the bike on the road and see how we get on (if DVLA ever get round to issuing my log book) and if it is ok then keep an eye out for used oil pump and bevels, although I will be amazed if the gearbox does not need attention.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon May 04, 2020 3:02 pm

My new Guzzi exhaust ring nut does not have holes for lock wiring, what a pain! It would be very difficult to drill lengthways, due to the small diameter and the hardness of stainless, but I may be able to drill at right angles like the original Mototrans nut. Other than that it may be possible to loop wire around one of the serrations for the spanner and secure that to the head.

Apart from that the bike seems to run great; starts first kick and is pretty quiet.

George

Postby George » Mon May 04, 2020 4:19 pm

Well done for getting bike running. Good luck with DVLA. I found that if you send lots of information and photos it helps. I have registered quite a few bikes last one the little Ducati before strip down. I expect you have registered before but if not and want help pm me.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon May 04, 2020 4:32 pm

Thanks, George. The problem with DVLA is with corona virus! I sent all the documentation in back in march and received a phone call from a nice lady, who told me that it was all in order, but I was too early to qualify for free road tax, so she would send everything back and I would need to send it back to them for the 1st of April. I don't understand why, but did as instructed, but then we went into lockdown and the DVLA website instructs the public not to send in any paper applications, and any that are submitted will not be processed. So now they have my papers and I am in limbo......

George

Postby George » Mon May 04, 2020 9:11 pm

Duccout wrote:Thanks, George. The problem with DVLA is with corona virus! I sent all the documentation in back in march and received a phone call from a nice lady, who told me that it was all in order, but I was too early to qualify for free road tax, so she would send everything back and I would need to send it back to them for the 1st of April. I don't understand why, but did as instructed, but then we went into lockdown and the DVLA website instructs the public not to send in any paper applications, and any that are submitted will not be processed. So now they have my papers and I am in limbo......

Perhaps the 1st April was when bike became forty years old. Must be frustrating that you can't get any riding time I expect it will be some time before you get on the road.
I completed restoring Moto Guzzi 125 Stornello just before lockdown and have done less than 100 miles. I think I will have to sell it later on to pay for high Ducati costs. Still small trouble to what some people are going through right now.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue May 05, 2020 6:10 am

You are right, of course! Old blokes mucking about with old bikes, is not life and death. I'll be glad when we all get back to normal.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue May 05, 2020 10:12 am

¡Felicitaciones!, Colin :)

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue May 05, 2020 11:14 am

Gracius Craig.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri May 08, 2020 10:02 am

Teething troubles: spent yesterday fitting some swinging arm shims after I found a massive amount of end-float that I had not noticed when I had the back end dismantled. What a job trying to get them in place!

I needed to fit a new centre stand spring as the original left the stand hanging just off the ground, but was unsure of what is the correct spring; the Mototrans PT spring is 0440 12 040, the same as Singles and bevel twins, and I was lucky enough to have a new spare, so this morning, after much gritting of teeth and the use of a small winch, I fitted it, but the spring is 25 mm shorter than the original - 100 mm against 125 mm, so I don't know if it will survive for long.

So what is the correct Mototrans spring? The same as Singles side stand? The centre stand really holds the back wheel ridiculously high off the floor and is a real heave. If only the side stand was not missing!

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri May 08, 2020 11:27 am

Side stand spring is shorter, so obviously not that. Maybe the Mototrans 0400 12 040 is different to Ducati 0400 12 040?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”