Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Postby Duccout » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:10 pm

BTW, during my ride, it poured with rain, which was not what I wanted, because the front tyre appears to be the original, which is 40 years old, deeply cracked and as hard as iron. I am waiting for a new one to be delivered.......Let's say I rode home defensively!

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:14 pm

Busy day today. Fitted my new 18t gearbox sprocket, adjusted the valve clearances, lowered the throttle needle one notch to see if it may help the fluffing at low throttle opening, and had a go at building up the tank filler neck flange with Araldite and sanding flat. I know that it is unlikely to work, but hey, it keeps me out of trouble.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:06 am

Best run out yet, the bike gets better each time. The new gearing is wonderful and the engine is running better; still fluffing a bit at small throttle openings, but better than it was. One thing that is bothering me though is the lack of performance, the engine will not rev at all. It performs perfectly adequately just using the torque through the gears, but any attempt to get it to rev results in it just going flat and struggling. It may be due to the air filter being blocked, or the rubber hose connecting it to the carb being sucked in, restricting the air flow. I am intending to replace the filter with a K+N when I get round to it, but there are so many jobs to be done!

New tyre being delivered today, so it will be fun trying to break the seal on the 40 year-old corroded rim and tyre.

George

Postby George » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am

Engine not reving perhaps main jet is to small. Would need to do open throttle plug chop to confirm. Another clue is to ride at full throttle and back off small amount, if engine picks up main jet is to small.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Thanks George. There is still much to sort out, but I'm getting there. My new tyre arrived this afternoon, so thought that I would do a quick fitting.......Got the old tyre off easily enough, then found that the rim tape was broken, so have had to order one.

The old inch size tyres are much easier to fit. A couple of years ago I fitted radial tyres to my 900 desmo (one of the best mods that I have ever done) and boy were they hard to fit! I remember that the rear was so tight that I did not think that it would be possible to get the last section over the rim. Hopefully, they will see me out.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:33 am

New tyre fitted: Metzeler ME22 which looks a very nice tyre. I went for the Metzeler because they are recommended by George from NI; it definitely had nothing to do with the fact that they are the cheapest tyres!

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm

I've just fitted a K&N pod filter and removed the filter box - what a heavy, large lump! Which has left a nice open space behind the engine to give access for maintenance. Hopefully the weather will allow me a road test to see if things are any better. I may throw caution (and a chunk of my pension) to the wind and buy an electronic ignition kit as the points set up is in a right old state, being over 40 years old and would cost quite a bit to renew.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Yes me22's are a super little tyre, (but not at all because they are cheap :lol: ) someone told me rightly or wrongly? that they were developed for the 125lc yamaha, I have used these on a number of lightweight bikes including my 250 Aermacchi track bike used in a fair degree of anger quite often....never an issue with the me22....would recommend to anyone.(maybe Metzeler will send me the tenner now?)
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:47 pm

Aye George, they look a nice tyre, with tread similar to Avons, and definitely superior to the rock-hard tyre that was on there, which I suspect was the original. My confidence in the front grip should be massively improved!

George

Postby George » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:37 pm

Duccout wrote:I've just fitted a K&N pod filter and removed the filter box - what a heavy, large lump! Which has left a nice open space behind the engine to give access for maintenance. Hopefully the weather will allow me a road test to see if things are any better. I may throw caution (and a chunk of my pension) to the wind and buy an electronic ignition kit as the points set up is in a right old state, being over 40 years old and would cost quite a bit to renew.

You might find that you will need to increase main jet about 10% to compensate for increase in air flow with K & N filter.
I would be interested to know how you get on if you go ahead with electronic ignition. I was hoping to fit same but bike has been eating money so will keep points and 6 volt system till next year. My points plate, springs etc look in good condition except for cam lobe very worn. would anyone have a replacement in fair condition that I could purchase.
+1 for Metzeler tyres, good road holding, long life and look right on older bikes. My son has had Metzlers on his Moto Guzzi 1000S for some years and I feel confident when riding it.
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”