Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Postby Ventodue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:22 am

Duccout wrote:Some of you may remember Simpson Meccanique (sorry for the spelling) who used this solution for fitting Ducati swinging arm bushes, very successfully apparently.

(At least until a few years ago), Rory lives not far from here. I tested some transducer boxes that he was looking to sell for him 8-)

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi Craig. I did swap emails with Rory a few times; it is a pity that he did not continue with just classic Ducatis, as I believe it was dealing with modern ones that resulted in the shop closing and becoming a Honda mecca.

Colin

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:50 pm

My new NJB shocks have arrived and look very well finished, but we will have to see how they perform. If they are OK, I will have to think about how to deal with the swinging arm bushes. I will make some enquiries and see if I can get some made in Delrin, or buy some oil impregnated bronze ones and turn the O/D down to fit, or try to glue the undersize O/D Delrin ones in place.

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:05 am

My new NJB shocks have arrived and look very well finished

Which ones did you buy? I am thinking of getting some of the length adjustable ones, so I can set the 'attitude' of the bike to how I want.

I have used NJB's on a trials bike some years ago, and they did work quite well.
Cheers

Max

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:52 am

Hi Max,

I just bought the standard Classic shocks. I have fitted them but not road tested them yet. The springs are either slightly too short or too soft as I have had to turn the cam adjusters all the way up to get the correct ride height.

Colin

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:32 pm

Hi Colin
It would be good to see how they ride.
I bought some 'Girlings' :lol: off fleabay, but they were too underdamped for my liking, the bike wallowed in faster corners.
Some Hagons sorted that out. I have never used NJB for the road, so your opinion will be valued.
Cheers

Max

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Test ride done, and the shocks are perfect! I did one of my usual back lane rides and never really noticed the shocks at all, which Is a sure sign that they are doing their job, and way superior to the knackered old ones.

The little Strada is certainly transformed from when I first spluttered up the road on it, fearful that it would expire at any minute. I need to find the cause of the dodgy low down carburration, which I could possibly cure by filing out the slide cutaway, but once filed out it can't be reversed. Possibly the float level is too high? I'm reluctant to spend any money on it as it would be better value to buy a new Mikuni or Amal.

I also need a gear lever as the Chinese one that I have is too narrow and is difficult to find with my size nine boot, and the swinging arm play is a priority.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:31 am

I decided to bite the bullet and pull the swinging arm apart. The bushes have 12 thou of wear in them, and the shaft about 1 thou, BUT, the shaft is pitted and has probably just ground the bushes away. I have contacted a guy on the 'net who makes bushes to see if he can help. I don't think trying to fit bushes of 32mm into housings of 33.5mm is going to work, and neither is bronze bushes without some system of being able to oil them.

Assuming I can get some bushes made, do I polish out the roughness on the pin, or get it hard-chromed and ground?

To please me even more, when I took out the bolt at the front of the chainguard, instead of it undoing, it simply turned, and when I investigated, found that the thread is an insert, pressed into a hole in the swinging arm bracket, and I now have to find someone to weld it back in place.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:05 pm

There are thread inserts you can use. We use Bollhoff inserts at work to avoid welding nuts on, but they need a special installation tool. A lighter duty version called a Jacknut can be fitted with an improvised tool.
Ian

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks Ian, I'll have a look.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”