Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

Re: Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Postby graeme » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:15 pm

Hello George,

I have some points bits.
Not sure what they are from originally.
What exactly are you looking for ?

Graeme

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 am

Another good run this morning, and a nice feel from the new front tyre, certainly better than the old one! Came back and did my final 'cheap' oil change, draining the budget stuff before refilling with Silkolene Comp 4. The strainer looks clean now, although God knows how much debris has made its way to the centrifugal filter. Time will tell.

I do have one strange phenomenon - the throttle stop screw does not work! The tick-over is too fast but it is impossible to slow it down. I have slack on the cable and I can hear the slide clicking against the stop when I close the throttle, but turning out the stop screw has no effect. I suspect that the slide and/or body has worn and will not allow the slide to go any lower; any other ideas?

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:37 pm

Duccout wrote:<snip> The strainer looks clean now, although God knows how much debris has made its way to the centrifugal filter. Time will tell.

Change the oil frequently enuf and the end result is pretty much the same anyways, Colin ;) . As to the tick-over, don't think I can advise as I think you have an Amal, yes?

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi Craig,

Yes, Amal. If I take out the throttle stop screw the slide sits down on the carb body and the engine still ticks over too fast, so I'm guessing that I would need to turn a fraction off the bottom of the slide to allow it to sit lower. It is not worth worrying about though, it is only slightly too fast and doesn't affect the riding at all.

Colin

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:53 pm

If the slide and/or the body of the carb are worn air gets past the slide and winds the tickover up, if the slide is hitting the bottom of the mixing chamber and you remove metal from the bottom of the slide you will just mess up the slide cutaway dimension and upset the carburation further.
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Thanks George, I can see that now; I'll probably just leave it alone anyway as it is not a problem.

George

Postby George » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:16 pm

graeme wrote:Hello George,

I have some points bits.
Not sure what they are from originally.
What exactly are you looking for ?

Graeme

Hi Graeme
I don't want to hijack Colin's post and will move this thread to my restoration post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2963
I am in UK so postage could be a problem
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Bit the bullet and fitted an Electrex World ignition kit this morning. Here are some observations.

The kit looks well made and is comprehensive, but I had teething troubles fitting it. Firstly, the ring did not fit into the housing due to burring to the edge of the housing, which was easily sorted with a file. Next the rotor would not fit the points shaft because the machining on the bore of the rotor was poor; it took half an hour with emery cloth to get it to fit. The rest was fairly easy - threading the wires through and fitting the multi pin plug, bolting on the coil and tying the wires up, although I ran into a problem when I wanted to separate the multi pin plug again - it just would not come apart, so there is a problem for the future!

This ignition is set by finding TDC, then adjusting the pick-up ring to the correct timing which is marked on the ring; unfortunately, I find it impossible to hold this engine at TDC, either due to flywheel effect or the alternator magnets rotating the crank, however, I just about managed it, but then found that the timing marks are so tiny that it is impossible to get accurate timing. 28° and 38° are marked on the ring, but only about 2mm apart, so finding 35° is pure guesswork. With that done as best I could it was time to start up. Would it start? After a couple of kicks the engine ran and I tried a few more practice kicks and it started first time, every time. The engine definitely runs better, and seems more civilised, but a road test will have to wait until next week.

A.I.M

Postby A.I.M » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Colin, if you want to sort out your carb, you might like to know that I recently bought a new Amal 627 carb with hard-anodised slide and ethanol resistant float from Burlen for 127.50 plus VAT & Shipping. I guess your Strada might have the 29mm carb rather than the 27 fitted to my Scrambler. I reckoned it would be cheaper in the long run than refurbishing my Spanish-made Amal. They also sell everything needed to refurbish.
Cheers,
Al

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:32 am

Hi All,

My Strada has a 27mm carb, which is a bit of a strange size. AFAIK, original Amal's came in 26mm and 28mm sizes, but Burlen maybe are covering all options. I bought a new pilot jet from them recently that fit the Spanish Amal, but was slightly longer than the original. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”