Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Postby Duccout » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:56 pm

My Indian rev-counter seems to read about half the revs that the engine is really turning at, which leads me to think that the 4:1 on the dial should really read 2:1; am I right?

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:57 pm

The original clocks were 1:4, if you are driving it via a drive box on the bevel cover that's what it should be.

The only Ducati singles that use 1:2 clocks are those using "vic camp" style aftermarket drive boxes driven off the crank on the primary cover. So I guess your clock is just duff.

The cheap Taiwanese/Chinese "mini" tacho's seem to work okay and are pretty stable/accurate compared to the originals. I put one on my Mk3 20 years ago and it seems to work fine, certainly compared to the original wagglers! M&P still sell them, I guess they are still the same.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/1-4-mi ... ace-500365

They do them with a white face as well.

The Speedo however I'm not so sure is the correct ratio, mine misreads, but then again I didn't change the drive when I swapped to a 18" rim. At least it's stable, one day I'll sort it out......

The smiths cable fits thread wise, but I think I recalled I had to dress the top square drive on the inner cable a little to get it to fit.

Nigel

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:55 am

Thanks Nigel. It's a shame, because the rev counter looks good and operates smoothly, but not accurately! It seems to be about 1000 rpm low, ie at tick over the clock reads '0' so maybe I have a superb tick-over or the clock is junk. It makes a good ornament in the binnacle though.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:59 pm

I've just returned from a few days away and low and behold, I have a registration number! All I have to do now is get a number plate made and I can actually see if the bike works.

George

Postby George » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:30 pm

That's good news. Soon be racing round Essex collecting speeding tickets
George Essex UK

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:05 am

Duccout wrote:I've just returned from a few days away and low and behold, I have a registration number! All I have to do now is get a number plate made and I can actually see if the bike works.

Bravo! Now just scribble something on a piece of cardboard and get out there, Colin ... :D

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:24 am

George, I doubt it will have the power to collect speeding tickets! I've not ridden anything smaller than 750cc for about 40 years, so it may seem a tad underpowered.

Craig, I must confess to a degree of trepidation as I'm fully expecting to find a myriad of problems when I ride it!

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:30 am

Aaaaarrrrrrggggggrrrrrr! Bloody bike won't run!

I've started it three times in the garage and it has run perfectly. Today, the hottest day of the year, I thought I would give it its first road test; moved the car, moved the other bikes, put them all back, got my gear on and.......kick, kick, kick, drain fuel, check filter, remove float bowl and check jets are clear, kick, kick, sweat pouring off me, stinking of petrol, and finally give up. If there was a canal here it would be at the bottom.

It is almost certainly fuel starvation, the engine fires every kick and runs for thirty seconds, then dies. Looks like a carb off job and I will not be doing that in this heat.

I don't know, six months spent lavishing love and attention on this Spanish floozy and she refuses to dance with me!

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Just be happy she did not kick you in the nuts!.

George

Postby George » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 pm

"It is almost certainly fuel starvation, the engine fires every kick and runs for thirty seconds, then dies. Looks like a carb off job and I will not be doing that in this heat."

Shame but sure you will work it out. Possibly stating the obvious but as the inside of tank was rusty first thing I would check is petrol tap filter. Remove petrol line and open tap into container to check flow, then check tank air inlet. Good luck
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”