Maldon Shot Blasting

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Maldon Shot Blasting

Postby Duccout » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:45 pm

Has anyone here used Maldon Shot Blasting and Powder Coating? Are they reliable and how long do they take to do the work? I dropped off some stuff to be coated almost five weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to be done. I'm considering giving up and going to retrieve it. I came across one guy on Facebook who said that they took a year to coat his frame.

George

Re: Maldon Shot Blasting

Postby George » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:56 pm

Did consider them couple of years ago but when phoning them not happy with response. Their website is better than their attitude. I am getting my frame painted to match Ducati metallic colours, painter will bead blast first.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:31 pm

I normally use Triple S in Yorkshire, but as I was going to Maldon anyway I thought I would drop my parts off at MSB at the same time. Their main business seems to be painting Ferrari rocker covers etc, so I'm guessing that small bits get shunted to the back of the queue and I'm worried that I'll not see my parts again.

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:21 am

Personally I'd go and get your stuff back, especially in this present situation,. You may not see your stuff again if anything happens to the company and that's shocking treatment anyway.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:29 am

Their website is full of info showing how good they are, but I'm always suspicious of companies that (as we say in England) 'blow their own trumpet'. Also it states that parts are left at owner's risk and they 'reserve the right to remove abusive customers from their premises', hardly statements that fill one with confidence.

I'm not having much luck at the moment; I have a shipment of parts stuck at Forli airport and all FedEx will tell me is that delivery 'is suspended'. Surely air freight must still be moving?

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10 pm

I am in a similar boat, I have parts in a precision engineering company awaiting attention, as and from today they are closed indefinitely which I fully understand under the circumstances, but will I ever see my parts again? If your blasters are still open go and get your stuff back now.
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:03 pm

I rang the receptionist today and told her that I was coming to collect my parts, and she told me that they were done, but one part has to be put through again as the finish is not good enough. She told me she would ring back, but she did not and her attitude makes me suspicious. I'm guessing that they will close today for the duration, so that is it, which leaves me up the creek for possibly a year. If they had done the job in a reasonable time this could have been avoided.

You are obviously similarly affected and I suppose it is all down to the bloody coronavirus, which could change society forever.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:05 pm

Update: after they fobbed me off on Monday, by telling me the parts were done, I decided to ring the director of the company on his personal phone this morning, the number of which he thoughtfully provides to deal with any problems, but when I logged into the website to get the number, there is a statement that the company is shut until further notice, with my parts inside.

I have a choice now to wait, for what could be months to retrieve my parts, or start looking for replacements. The irony is that I was going to paint them myself, but dropped them off at Maldon because I was going there anyway to get the fork legs straightened. If I could turn the clock back......

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:30 pm

Had a call from them today!!! They are sending out completed work, so fingers crossed, I may get my parts back soon and I can actually get my garage back! It will mean that the bike is back on its wheels and can be parked out of the way and I can turn my attention to the cylinder head. I was very surprised to find the bore in almost perfect condition and the the original piston fitted, so it has not been rebored and must have been run with the air filter connected.

I've been working on the petrol tank, doing some exercise by shaking a load of old nuts around inside to dislodge the rust and sand; the tank seems pretty sound and is certainly sturdy. It is a pity about the rather large dent in the front.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Duccout wrote:Had a call from them today!!!

Your faith in human nature (may yet be) restored, Colin ... :)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”