Maldon Shot Blasting

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Re: Maldon Shot Blasting

Postby George » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Duccout wrote: I was very surprised to find the bore in almost perfect condition and the the original piston fitted, so it has not been rebored and must have been run with the air filter connected.

I've been working on the petrol tank, doing some exercise by shaking a load of old nuts around inside to dislodge the rust and sand; the tank seems pretty sound and is certainly sturdy. It is a pity about the rather large dent in the front.

That's good news with piston / barrel. Are you trying to wind me up :lol: I am doing same with petrol tank, nuts and white vinegar in for a week now cleaning up good except I need more white vinegar, my kids are doing my shopping must add to list. I have large dent at back not sure what to do yet, to big for filler. Restoration will slow down as I have decided not to order anything for now, better safe than sorry. Plenty of stripping and cleaning to do . Might be over a year before we meet up riding the Essex roads on our Ducati's
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Well Craig, I will reserve judgement until I get the the stuff back, but they couldn't have been more helpful on the phone today.

George, it is hard work shaking a tank around isn't it? Difficult to know when to stop too; my tank had a sandy crust over the rust, which came off pretty well and I've decided that it is good enough, but tomorrow I may change my mind. The petrol taps were absolutely clogged with rust so they had to be taken apart and cleaned and the threaded holes in the bottom of the tank were so bad that I had to run a tap through the thread to break through it all.

My engine seems to have done very few miles, which makes it baffling as to why the PO should have done so much damage to it, messing with top and bottom bevels and the oil pump. He had obviously removed the shims from under the crank bevel, loading the vertical bevel and pushing it upwards, breaking the teeth and destroying the bearings.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Duccout wrote: it is hard work shaking a tank around isn't it?

Not if you stuff it into a cement mixer, protected by blankets etc.

Buster

Postby Buster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:15 pm

Clothes driers set on cold work well, Seal in a plastic bag, just in case it leaks, and wrap in an old duvet.
Run with tank lengthwise and turn round and do it side on for a couple of hours. did a good job on a 90 year old Rudge tank.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”