Mikuni Carb Settings

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

themoudie

Re: Mikuni Carb Settings

Postby themoudie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 pm

Aye Duccout,

I wouldn't thrash about anymore this weekend. Salve your head with a single malt and give Steve a telephone call after the holiday or drop him an email covering your 'adventure' so far!

I found with the Amal MKII on the 450 that there comes a point when I am dreaming setting combinations! :? :shock: :? That is definitely not 8-) hence a wee nightcap! ;)

As others have consoled me, "Some daft bu**er built then ran it and what is made by man can be made to run again by man!" you just need the fortitude.

Good health, Bill

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:01 pm

Dead right Bill, I'm done for a while. The cold weather is making things difficult as the engine won't run with the cold start jet opened, so I'm having to warm it up without any enriching. I daren't even think that the carb may not operate at the angle it sits at!

Colin

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:25 pm

[quote][/quote][quote="themoudie"]Aye Duccout

As others have consoled me, "Some daft bu**er built then ran it and what is made by man can be made to run again by man!" you just need the fortitude.

Yes, as an old boy I worked with in my youth used to say, it can't win it hasn't got a brain. :)
Brian
Made in England

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:51 pm

I'm not sure that I have much of a brain left anymore though!

I may have to wait for the weather to warm up before making any more changes, as I think that the cold is making it difficult to tune the mixture in. The major problem that I have is that I'm unable to reach the pilot adjuster with the tank on the bike, so I can't stop during, or after a run to fine tune the tick over mixture. Not sure if that is solvable.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:27 pm

More in my brit. bike days but still useful today, a long time ago I made a temporary petrol tank just for the problem you are struggling with......a cylindrical petrol tank from an Atco lawnmower with two multi adjustable brackets that with a bit of fiddling would fit the std tank fixings on most bike frames.....particularly useful for carb work on Velocette's and BSA gold star's where the tank has to come off to get at the needle/slide and of course now used on Ducati singles......sorry but I am moving house at the moment and can't get at the little tank in storage or I could send you a photo, a friend uses a little peanut tank of a moped (maybe an NSU quickly?) for the same purpose. A bit of a pain to make up for one job, but you will use it again and again once you have one.
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:45 pm

Thanks George, good idea. I was wondering too if it would be possible to modify the screw so that I could make it into a thumbwheel, or a tiny butterfly that I could turn with the fingers, but it won't be easy because the frame tube is in the way of it as well. If only Mikuni had put the adjuster at the front! Actually, I wonder if a left-hand carb would have been better? Although then the choke lever would not have fitted under the tank........

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:07 pm

I have a pair of Mk1 amal concentric carbs on my pre war racing car and the pilot mixture screw is too tight to the bulkhead, so I silver soldered an extension
on the screw with a little "T" piece end on to get at it to adjust.......worked fine.
Cheers,
George

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm

Aye Duccout,

Go and purchase one of these, Sealey Tools MS029 Motorcycle Portable Fuel Tank- 1ltr. Quality moulding, tap and hose, choose your own seller!

Do not purchase the cheaper 'Made in India' 300cc type, the tap fixing into the bottom of the flask moulding is dodgy and if that doesn't leak then the fuel tap will and the hose supplied reacts to our UK ethanol fuel! The lid also leaks if the fuel sloshes about. NASTY! :evil:

Good health, Bill

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:29 pm

Thank you Bill and George, they are ideas that I will look at.

Colin

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:21 pm

If the screw head is a convenient cylindrical shape, a disc can be pressed on to improve awkward access.
750GTThrottleStop1-JP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”