MK3 exhaust

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Re: MK3 exhaust

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:31 am

I am using a Norton 1960 ish Dommy cheroot type silencer on my 250 .less restrictve than a Silentium with a bigger outlet I am also using a Norton hanger bracket with a bit of filing.All looks very similar to a std bike. Not handed or seamed so any will fit.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:03 am

The best "silencer" I ever had on any Ducati single was a genuine 1970s Paul Dunstal decibel megaphone, these were designed for the Norton commando and on the Ducati gave as close to straight through megaphone performance as any silencer I had used before or since. Problem now is where on earth would you get one these days? I have been keeping an eye on ebay and such places for a long time looking for a nos condition one of these but no luck, (plenty of copy decibel megga's but these are no good).
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:50 am

I had a genuine Dunstall Decibel silencer on my 350 Mk 111, and I can remember vividly riding it down to Kent one Saturday morning to Paul Dunstall's shop and buying it direct over the counter. It looked good and was LOUD.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:25 pm

What an odd coincidence .......just on ebay yesterday and managed to score a brand new old stock Dunstall decibel silencer :) can't believe my luck, I just hope it lives up to my remembered expectations when I fit it to my 350 mk3, It hasn't had one of these on it since 1977. I took the decibel off to run it on a manually adjustable exup type butterfly baffle in a straight through "works spec" mega and that system has been on it now for decades, however now I am old :roll: I frankly can't be bothered with the endless baffle juggling and ridiculous noise level so hopefully the decibel will give me a decent amount of power with a bit more silencing......this is treading an old path for me, as it is always going to be hard to get the best out of the green and white cam with any kind of silencer.....still I don't ride it like I was 19 anymore :(
Cheers,
George

Dodge

Postby Dodge » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:05 am

Same topic - different bike. I am restoring a 239 MK3 and will be replacing the exhaust and pipe. I will probably keep the original forward position of the gear change. I have the original exhaust (Lafranconi “DUCATI 0609 84 500”) and standard carb (Dellorto PHF 30AD). Rechroming looks expensive and there may well better alternatives. I had a reverse cone mega on my 450 Desmo (set up and tuned by Vic Camp). It worked well and sounded great except that it would probably be considered a bit anti-social these days! Any suggestions welcome.
Roger

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”