MK3 exhaust

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

MK3 exhaust

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:42 pm

My bike has the standard corroded but solid exhaust system I would like to put a new system on but need something that the rear set gear lever will not hit on down changes. Is it possible to get a longer front pipe? This would allow room for the gear lever. Setting the gear lever a bit higher would be uncomfortable to use, I would rather set it lower if I could.

Thanks
23_edited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blethermaskite

Re: MK3 exhaust

Postby blethermaskite » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:17 pm

I think we have all had that problem, others will confirm because I am not totally confident about this but if you get a front pipe from a narrow case single it is a bit longer than a the standard widecase front pipe and will allow you to set your silencer (off whatever type you use? and anything will be better than the standard silentium!!) a bit further back and give you the potential for more gearchange lever clearance.
Cheers,
George

A.I.M

Postby A.I.M » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:23 am

Hi there - I think yours is the 250, which would have a stroke of 57.8mm. The 350 & 450 have a stroke of 75mm, so I'd expect the downpipe to be 8.5mm longer. I see new ones for sale at 45 euros.

Cheers,
Al
Last edited by A.I.M on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:07 am

On my 450 I had an exhaust system made that tucked in lower to clear the gear lever. Two possible options: order a special pipe from Keihan systems, who are incredibly helpful and will make you a longer pipe, giving clearance; or fit a tapered silencer which will give more clearance ( but probably still not enough). Chrome silencers for the 24 Hours are available new and have a very gentle taper, which may be the answer.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks,
not an easy problem to solve, I could easily weld on a front pipe extension but would have a horrible finish on the front pipe thought it is not good as it is. Hate to go the matt black finish but not much else I could do. It would look strange especially if I fit a new shiny shorty reverse megaphone.
I think the Silentium does not suit the rest of the cafe racer look so I don't mind changing it.
I found this pipe for the narrow case scramblers
http://www.ducativintagestore.com/exhau ... er_america
Regards

ducati front pipe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scottish888 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:53 pm

I found a tapered "megaphone" style muffler to be an adequate solution for gear lever clearance with rear mounted footpegs.
A detail that might help is to replace the clevises and pins on the gear change link rod with spherical rod end type bearings, to minimise lost motion.
That could allow the lever to be mounted lower.
Or, do away with the link rod altogether and use a gear lever directly on the splined shaft on the gear selector box, that points backwards - then you'd have a "Triumph/BSA" shift pattern.
On my 350, the slightly shorter 250 header pipe fits as well, with a closer fit to the engine.
The muffler-less scrambles pipe must be noisy.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:55 pm

On my 1974 350 mk3 widecase I cut and shut to a better closer to the engine shape and added 4" of length to the original standard front pipe,I then fitted a long shallow taper open megaphone with a modified ex R1 Yamaha exup valve unit fitted (now operated manually with a bowden cable from the ex choke lever)......yes it is all matt black.....but it works really well and my gearchange is free of any obstruction.
On my 1974 widecase 250 desmo disc I fitted a new narrow case 250 front pipe (sourced in Italy) and a new long shallow taper reverse cone megaphone style "straight through" silencer (internally like a "conti" don't know what make I got it at an autojumble!) I have rose joints on the standard desmo rearset gearchange lever and it has a pretty good and usable clearance from the silencer leaving me able to drop the lever down to a comfortable position.
Cheers,
George

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:02 am

Thanks folks,

Will let you know what I end up with.

Regards

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:19 am

I found the gear lever position uncomfortable too.
I had already bought the silencer without realising this, so made my own gear lever to lower it a bit.
Cheers

Max

BevelBitsaBrighton

Postby BevelBitsaBrighton » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:12 pm

A question re noise levels, I have a conti on my 250 Mach1, which I admit is a bit loud & tends to make me ride "enthusiastically". I am building up a 450 Mk3 as a daily driver & am told the short Silentium is about the same as a conti & the long one is quiet but throttles the engine. I have decided as an experiment to buy a Dunstall 27" megaphone which is rebuildable. I have a short 40mm aftermarket baffle which will fit in the main tube & will pack the megaphone with Acousta-Fil Exhaust Silencer Packing. Anyone done something similar? I am after a healthy but not obnoxious sound & something that looks good.
1964 Mach 1
1970 450 MK3

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”