Spanish tanks

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Jon Pegler

Spanish tanks

Postby Jon Pegler » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 am

One of the problems with some of the Mototrans machines is that they were built with fibreglass tanks.
In this modern age much of the fuel has ethanol added to it, causing fibreglass tanks to disintegrate and leak.
As a way of keeping some of my own Spanish Ducatis on the road I've been having a number of tanks made in India.
In the UK, the price of a one-off aluminium tank is from £1000-£1500 with a lead time of about a year.
The tanks I have had made in India have been made for under half the UK price and in as little time as one month.
The quality is very good, unlike some of the Scrambler tanks I have seen coming out of India, with only very minor fettling to fit the frames.
I have provided original Mototrans fibreglass tanks to be copied, so they are faithful reproductions.
I have had tanks made for the 24 Horas and Vento models, and the Spanish 500 Desmo parallel twin. This tank was also used on the very last Forza and Strada bikes.
I haven't had the Forza and Strada tanks reproduced, even though they came in fibreglass, because they were also made with a steel tank, which are readily available second hand.
These tanks can be made in either steel or aluminium.
I had two Vento tanks made, one in steel and one in aluminium, but I think the aluminium tank has come out the better of the two, with slightly sharper lines.
If anyone on this site has a 24 Horas or a Vento these tanks are available on e-bay from the manufacturer.

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Re: Spanish tanks

Postby Ventodue » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Great Initiative, Jon, and glad it worked out well. I've now treated my plastic tank and will see how it goes ... :shock:

Rossguzzi

Postby Rossguzzi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:35 am

I have seen the tanks from India advertised. Wondered if they were any good. I have a 450 scrambler. I have a tank but needs chrome and paint. Thought if the ones from India were good or would be cheaper.
Anyone have first hand experience ?
Op , nice work getting those ones copied.
6 Ducati`s, 6 Guzzi`s, 2 Aprilia`s, 4 Morini`s, 2 Montessa`s and a bunch of other stuff

STEVENM63

Postby STEVENM63 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:38 pm

Hi Jon. I've been looking for a steel tank for my 350 wide case "racer" build. All of the race-style tanks I have looked at have been made of fiberglass. Because this will be a street bike, I would rather not have to deal with the issues of that fiberglass has with ethanol. Can you tell me if the Vento tank would fit on a '69 350 wide case frame (Italian model)?

Thanks
Steven

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Steven,

The short answer is basically yes.
The Vento frame is based on the Italian widecase frame, so the central channel underneath the tank is similar to an Italian widecase model.
Where the Vento differs is with the front supports underneath the tank.
These are not so different from the late Mark 3 and Desmo tank supports, but are not quite the same.
I don't think there would be too much difficulty in adapting a Vento tank to fit.
I will try and include a photo of the front tank supports on a Vento frame so that you can compare it with Italian models.
IMGP0889.JPG

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”