Brake hub wiper/seal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

Brake hub wiper/seal

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:16 pm

On the brake plates I only had one raggedy bit of felt which I think is meant to stop grease from flying out the bearings onto the shoes.
I had no felt to replace it with so used some 22mm foam insulation normally used in plumbing, not sure if this will be suitable but I don't expect it would burn out as it will be pressing against a greasy face.
If it is effective it may be worthwhile to try, unless some one here has tried already?
brake plate wiper_edited.jpg

ins tube_edited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duccout

Re: Brake hub wiper/seal

Postby Duccout » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Good thinking. The pipe insulation is not going to be absorbent as felt though. In case you need them try : www.recambiousado.com who have them in stock, I believe.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 am

Fully sealed bearings, usually with 2RS suffix, won't need the felt seal to stop grease going where it shouldn't.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:40 am

Jordan wrote:Fully sealed bearings, usually with 2RS suffix, won't need the felt seal to stop grease going where it shouldn't.

+1 ;) .

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:23 am

Yes, I done that with the chain drive bearing but the others are in good condition so will keep for now.
I can't remember seeing a bearing retainer circlip on the hubs, just a plain ring sitting outside the bearings, how to deal with that?

Regards

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”