1966 Mark 3 - which paint

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

kaysystems

1966 Mark 3 - which paint

Postby kaysystems » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 pm

This may have been covered, but I don't see it.

It's time to paint my 250 Mark 3. I will most likely be doing this myself. If I use spray cans, what do I buy? Acrylic?, Enamel? something else?

I will not be getting powder coat on the frame (to remain black) so the same question - what type of paint?

I do have an airless sprayer that I used years ago - I could use that if required.

thanks

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

Duccout

Re: 1966 Mark 3 - which paint

Postby Duccout » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 pm

I think that all the paint available now has to be water-based (that is what a sprayer told me), but whatever you use make sure that it is resistant to solvents, or it will be ruined if anything is spilt on it.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:28 am

I am experimenting with custom filled spray cans wherein any color you might choose from any manufacturer is matched and placed in the can. Solvent based. Professional-quality nozzle. Purchased from a supplier to body shops: Albert Kemperle, but can says manufactured in Germany. Also has a Toronto contact on the can. They mixed me a silver and a candy blue. Standard primers are to be used and, in my case, a two-part activated isocyanurate clear-coat. Wear protective gear!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kaysystems

Postby kaysystems » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:43 pm

I used something like that in Montreal to touch up my RV. Unfortunately the colour they mixed was way off!

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”