best route for front brake cables MK3

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

best route for front brake cables MK3

Postby Scottish888 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am

Hi Folks,

About to make and fit new brake cables for my 1974 MK3 250, any thoughts on the best/correct route for the brake cables to run?
The cable to the clutch side seems more straightforward but the other side not so, I am trying to avoid tight radius turns and messy looking cable layout.

Regards

Duccout

Re: best route for front brake cables MK3

Postby Duccout » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:07 am

As you're probably finding, correctly routing cables is a pain in the bum! I think that the easy answer is that you will have to try every option until you achieve the best routing.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Yes the twin brake cables are a bit of a pain, it all depends on what way you have your headlamp mounts fitted to the forks to get the best runs, however you decide to route them make sure you use nylon lined cables, believe me it will make quite some difference to how well that brake works.
Cheers,
George

Dan C

Postby Dan C » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:51 am

How about the clutch cable?
I see some seem to go under the tank which look a lot neater than mine. Which is routed in front of the downtube and swings out wide of the case on the left hand side.
So whats the routing of the under tank option? Every configuration I try results in a tight radius somewhere leading to a stiffer clutch pull.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks folks,

I bought cable outers/inners and lots of ends from Venhill in the UK, I just called them, the outer conduits are all teflon lined
My bike has the clip ons, verlicchi brackets and rear sets from the factory so it is all a bit tight up there. I think I will route it just past the headlight down then down and across to the rh brake.
I was also going to ask the factory route for the clutch cable but in the meantime I just run it to the left over the engine case to the downtube then at the top loop to the right then onto the clutch lever. I have all new uprated clutch plates from Lacey Ducati and using the old cable the pull pressure is fine but if I remove the zip ties from the cable/downtube the clutch is naturally lighter.
Compared to my 81 bonneville the Ducati 250 clutch is like a japanese bike. Modern bike clutches feel wonderfully light.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”