175TS with 125S engine project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Re: 175TS with 125S engine project

Postby George » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:27 pm

At last I have got new top bevel bearing housing from machine shop. Bob told me job would be done in two weeks and it was. Good to find someone that does not make false promises.
Made with light push fit into head. Bottom lip is deeper and wider to lock housing to head. Because lip is wider I had to file grooves for oil drains and I added a location pin to ensure oilways lined up. Quick assembly tonight to check and it all fits :D
Time to shim bevel gears. Progress at last
Colin Not sure if you have sorted your exhaust thread yet but the chap that did my bearing housing also repairs exhaust threads by machining and fitting insert to bring back to standard. Tells me it's a regular job on Triumphs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi George,

That looks like a really good job, let's hope that it solves the problem. Thank you for the heads up on the exhaust port too; I will see if my regular guy can fix it, but if not I'll be in touch.

Colin

George

Postby George » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:44 pm

New modified top bearing housing fitted and seems to hold firm. Will have to have it running to see if long term fix. Shimmed bevel gears fitted springs valves etc. Nipped up head bolts Checked piston / valves and and head clearance all good. Cleaned everything and refitted head. as I was torqueing head bolts engine started to get stiff to turn but not locked solid. Removed and checked everything to try and find what I had done wrong, Unable to find anything, all revolving OK. Reassembled very carefully, started binding again as I put about 15 ft lbs torque. What a puzzle. The only thing to come in contact is the new Oldham coupling. Stripped again, Coupling good light fit on shafts, I still had old coupling and measured lengths. New coupling is 0.60mm longer than old one and was binding on shaft circlips and, I think, pushing bearing inner against balls and making bearing and gears bind.
Altered length of new coupling and assembled again. Torqued to 25 ft lbs no binding. :D This engine is certainly giving me lot's to think about.
Right side oil pump and points fitted . Points set up, valve timing checked to make sure my refurbished cam is correct sport cam. Valve timing is as per manual. Clutch cover fitted and oil added.
Question: Is there any way I can check oil is circulating with engine on bench. I don't suppose turning over with kickstart will get oil up to camshaft but I would like to check somehow before fitting. Any suggestions welcome.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:30 pm

George, I wonder if the discrepancy in engine parts clearance is down to mixing Italian and Spanish parts? These engines are unique in that they were produced in two different factories and there is bound to be variations in production techniques. Still, sounds like yours will be running soon!

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:48 pm

I kicked mine over until I saw oil appearing at the hole in the end of the camshaft before attempting a start, although it was in the frame.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Agree with 'RantonRambler' take the plug out and kick over till oil comes out of the end of the camshaft, or else, if you have the wheels and chain on, take it for a push in 2nd gear round the yard. Of course if you are into your racing or know someone who is, have a wee loan of the starter rollers! ;)

Hope it barks into life for you soon.

My regards, Bill

George

Postby George » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks for replies Ian and Bill. Engine clamped to bench and cranked over by hand. Oil soon appeared at camshaft end and on cams. bolted on all the covers etc. Engine finished. Of course it is only a shiny shed ornament at the moment and as yet to fire up. Photo attached.

It has been quite a journey with this engine and on reflection it may have come across that I have been moaning about Ducati to much. I think the biggest problem is that previous restoration was carried out by someone that had no idea and I spent a lot of time finding out correct assembly.
Would I buy another one? yes. If I had the money I would love an Italian 250
It now remains to be seen how this 125S engine will perform in a 175TS bike.

The painter tells me he should be finished in a couple of weeks, I will believe that when it happens. Until then I there is nothing to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:29 pm

Looks great George! We look forward to the complete bike being fired up.

George

Postby George » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:39 pm

While waiting for painting to be finished I have been doing some reading and evidently 125/160 engine should have 3.4mm dia. valve springs, mine are 3.6mm dia. Has anyone any thoughts on this and could it be a problem as I cannot find any for sale.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi George,

The worry that I have is that hairpin springs are really hard on the valve gear; I had a new 350 Mk111 years ago that mushroomed the inlet valve seat in 2000 miles, and Ducatis are not exactly known for longevity in the cam and rocker department, plus as your valves are smaller that the ones usually used with those springs, there is going to be more seat pressure.

It probably won't matter if you are not going to do many miles. Does Jesus Guzman not have the 3.4 mm springs?

Colin

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”