175TS with 125S engine project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Re: 175TS with 125S engine project

Postby George » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:28 pm

themoudie wrote:Aye George,

An absolute Barsteward! :shock: :cry: :evil: I can only offer my commiserations and wish you a speedy recovery. As the others have said your health is more important, especially if your nuts are like oranges. Plenty of R&R and no heavy lifting until the bruising disapates.

Having had a similar experience with an Audi TT and a young women driver in 2017, whilst riding my old SRX600 in town at ~20mph and been sideswiped as she accelerated right, through me for the parking space! "I'm sorry I didn't see you. Perhaps you should get off the road as you are holding up the traffic?", were the immortal words! :evil: :evil: :evil: At least you have no broken bones, my right leg tib and fib are now pinned and it was compound as well. Thankfully, the 450 can still be kicked over! :D :D :D and I hope that it is not long before you are busying yourself with repairs to the wee beastie.

I too have had the 450 head off and checked over, in the ongoing carburettor launching saga on another thread that I hope to be adding to soon.

Keep taking the anti-inflammatories and watch where you put the 'Tiger Balm'! :twisted:

Wish you a speedy recovery, Bill

Thanks Bill, hope your 450 is running soon. Although reading you posts will keep me entertained I look forward to a happy conclusion. You are certainly not a quitter
George Essex UK

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:38 pm

George, sorry to hear that.
All that work to build a beautiful motorcycle and damaged in an instant!
As others have said, good to hear you are not too damaged.
The “I didn’t see you” is not a valid reason to possibly kill someone....
I’m sure you will get it back to the way it was pre idiot driver.

Best regards
Graeme

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:11 pm

What a pain (literally) good to hear you are ok with nothing too badly injured, although it sounds painful. as the others have said the bike will live again.......however these idiot drivers are hellish dangerous and the result could so easily mean we may not live again.
Best regards and a swift recovery,
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:56 am

How are you George? I hope that you are feeling better and are not in too much pain. More horrible news in Classic Bike this month - Rick Parkington is in hospital with a broken arm and leg after a driver turned across his path. This just reinforces how dangerous riding bikes is, and at my age worries me greatly; quite apart from the awful experience of being injured, there is the worry at my age of never recovering properly. I hope that Rick makes a swift recovery.

I firmly believe that accidents are almost always caused by people rushing, I see it all the time : not wanting to give way at junctions or roundabouts, especially mini-roundabouts, tail-gating, jumping red lights, and by definition, not looking properly. What is the net result of all this frenzy? Nobody gets anywhere any quicker by rushing, it is a pointless exercise.

Driving along the back lanes this morning, I had a driver glued to my bumper, literally trying to intimidate me. I would have pulled over if I could have found somewhere and let him go past; these lanes are lethal, with danger around every bend, but some people seem to think that they are a race track.

Colin

George

Postby George » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi Colin thanks for your interest. Still a bit wobbly but getting about a bit now.
Had a look at my bike today for the first time. Frame top tube and down tube bent, Will have to be replaced. Front mudguard damaged beyond repair. Forks extensive damage. Some small parts footrest, brackets etc. Of course there will have to be quite a lot of expensive painting to be done. The impact split the bottom stem bearing housing, I was only doing about 15MPH she must have been coming out of a small side road very fast.
Not fit enough to get my Moto Guzzi out yet. Insurance claim is pending. When all sorted first thing I will get is new crash helmet and hi-viz motorcycle jacket.

I agree with your views on driving. I don't think driving instructors teach how to drive anymore but rather how to pass your test and observe smart phone for twitter, Facebook etc. at all times.

Not going to give up riding yet mustn't let the bas###ds get you down.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:09 pm

Well done George! Glad that you are still fighting.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:37 pm

Aye George,

Delighted to read that you are making progress and starting to get about. :D

As for the bike. :evil: No very good by the sounds of it. That first peek at the damage, on your own, in your own place, can hit hard. Been there! In my case it made me more determined to get myself fit and to sort out the bike as well.

Six weeks after the smash I was training the right leg to kickstart the SRX, as I knew that I had to be able to kickstart the 450. ;)

Cars appear to accelerate far quicker these days and speedy "busy young women" juggling their paraphenalia and diving for gaps in the traffic that are just not there are a real menace! Young loons are as bad, but do not appear to have the same "attitude"! :evil: "Know what I mean, mate?" :evil:

Hope you can make some good progress on both yourself and the bike. Stick with it.

Good health, Bill

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:33 pm

George - I was also wondering how you were doing, and whether you've decided what to do. There was a N/C frame on a Facebook group the other day - 400 euro.

Hope the link works - https://scontent.fbhx4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=60ACB789

Ian

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:08 pm

That link is to an Italian A series frame from a 175 or 200 Elite.
The swinging arm bearings are in the frame rather than the swinging arm itself.
None of the Mototrans frames were like this, which is the type that George has bent, so it is not a direct replacement.

Jon

George

Postby George » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:32 pm

ranton_rambler wrote:George - I was also wondering how you were doing, and whether you've decided what to do. There was a N/C frame on a Facebook group the other day - 400 euro.

Hope the link works - https://scontent.fbhx4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=60ACB789

Ian

Hi Ian
Early days yet still waiting for insurance to be settled. Have some ideas but will wait before making my mind up. One thing I am having trouble finding is the valanced front mudguard. Badly damaged, I am going to take to a panel beater next week to see if it can be salvaged. I seem to remember that you changed yours for a sporting type. If I can't get mine repaired and if you still have yours would you be prepared to sell it

Hi Jon
I know you like a challenge, if you want the damaged frame when it's available you are welcome to it
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”