175TS with 125S engine project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

themoudie

Re: 175TS with 125S engine project

Postby themoudie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Excellent George.

Slainte, Bill

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Good result George, it's always satisfying on the first start up after a rebuild, and all is well, I have lost count of the number of engines from single to twelve cylinders I have rebuilt over the years . But that first fire up is always a tense moment, more so with something extremely old. Look forward to your first road test report.
Brian
Made in England

George

Postby George » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Had bike running on bench to correct tick over and check for oil leaks, so far so good. Made mistake of making new clutch cable same length as old one. Should have realised that previous owner did nothing right. Cable curves to tight making clutch heavy to operate. New cable ordered. Will follow Dewcat Bob's excellent explanation on clutch cable and fulcrum arm. Ready for road test once cable fitted. For safety I have added mirrors and indicators.
This bike has original electrics system, 6 volt, points, three wire alternator, rectifier. The headlight shell has a red light with 12v 3w bulb connected from ignition switch, to earth. Am I right in thinking that this is purely 'ignition on' warning light and if so is there a way to check battery is being charged. I have only run engine short period with fully charged battery.

Although I have restored a number of British and Italian bikes this is my first Ducati, not helped by total b**ls up previous owner made, and would like to thank members for the help and information received. This is the best forum. I include Ranton_Rambler (Ian) who started my Ducati journey by writing about his restoration in VMCC magazine. The bad news is that I am already thinking of my next Ducati single, expensive addictive hobby.
George Essex UK

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:07 am

Sparkbright make a simple to install and use voltage monitor.
It's an LED indicator that basically is green for charging and various red states (flashing,...) for not charging (happens at tickover/low revs).
I have one for each of my bikes (yet to be installed on the 125).
The 12V 3W bulb on my 125 is simply an 'ignition on' indicator.
Cheers

Max

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:25 am

For some reason, red and green are the usual choices for LED indicators.
Yet red/green colour-blindness exists - the most common type.
Last edited by Jordan on Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:21 pm

'The bad news is that I am already thinking of my next Ducati single, expensive addictive hobby.'

If you think that the Singles are expensive, don't look at Twins, where almost everything is x2!

Colin

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:05 am

Yes, red blue might be better. Traffic lights have some blue in the green for that reason.
Still, the Sparkbright indicator does flash when the system isn't charging.
Cheers

Max

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:29 am

Blue would save confusion - I can see it well.

Is there an advantage to having dual-coloured lights for charge indication though?
The old convention of a single light that is either on or off would seem to offer equivalent functionality.

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:58 am

KISS is a good principle to maintain.

However, my electrics do not have the facility to operate a light that goes out when charging, so the Sparkbright works for me. Just two wires and no need for a major rewire.

Not saying anyone should do this, just that it works for me :) .
Cheers

Max

George

Postby George » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:38 am

Sparkbright sounds like a good idea. Should fit in place of ign on light with simple connection to ign switch and earth. Cheap way to check battery charge without worrying that battery is going flat when out for a ride.
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”