175TS with 125S engine project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

veloduke

Re: 175TS with 125S engine project

Postby veloduke » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:02 pm

Like this one?
Seat reduced.JPG

I had R K Leighton in Brum do mine and what a fabulous job he did.
IMG_1330 resized.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Max

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:38 pm

P1030842.JPG

I've been working on my 200SS for far too long , but I'm getting there. I rebuilt the seat a while back now, it was in a poor state,

P1040160.JPG

Had some new stainless springs manufactured by Alberta Springs Nr Colchester, (very helpful). Made the retaining hooks from stainless welding rod.
The coil springs were replated , repaired the frame and had it powder coated.
P1040161.JPG

The seat cover was well made, but unfortunately the rear cut out would not clear the rear guard, so took the bull by the horns, cut out a section, and restitched it by hand .
P1040536.JPG

New badge from Barry Jones.
P1040537.JPG

Used rubber backed carpet underlay over the springs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Made in England

George

Postby George » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:32 pm

photo of my DIY seat not perfect but good enough for me for what it cost. Base and long springs in good condition had to change broken coil springs
George Essex UK

wrighty999

Postby wrighty999 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:30 am

Had mine done by Browns Trimmings in Broadstairs Kent, even embroidered the “Ducati” in. Top work

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:12 am

I'm amazed how many different seats there are. Mine is similar to Brian's but not the same.
All the steel frame and springs are in good shape, but the cover is torn and the stitching holding the rubber panels together has partially rotted away.
Ian

George

Postby George » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:11 pm

Interesting couple of days rebuilding engine. Crankshaft end float adjusted to nil float. Bottom bevels shimmed without to much trouble. Thinking this is easier than expected time to fit gears. Split crankcases added gears every thing turned OK gears selected with ease, crank cases bolted up, gears all good. I had made the mods to engine sprocket bearing to prevent oil leaks as posted by Nigel, made sense to me. Engine sprocket tightened and my troubles began. Gears would not engage, split cases try again, shafts and gears engaging as thy should, If I slacked off sprocket nut gears worked correct, tightening nut locked gears! Stripped layshaft gears and found that shim between 3rd and 4th gears was 1mm thick, parts list states 0.5mm. Worked out that when tightening sprocket nut gears were locking up on shim. 0.5mm shim fitted assembled again, problem solved. Alternator fitted after soldering in new feed cable, starter gear and clutch all fitted without problems. Pleased with progress.

The clutch arm is very worn on shaft and cocks over when in use. I feel that there may not be enough travel and also will wear clutch push rod oil seal quickly. I have been searching for replacement clutch arm and shaft without success. any suggestions welcome. The other problem is that the shaft rollpin end has been snapped off and there is nothing to pull on. I can only think of trying to drill out, problem is rollpins are hard. Again any suggestions welcome.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:06 am

George, you had a lucky escape there! Most people (including me) would have waited until the engine was back in the frame before fitting the gearbox sprocket. Hopefully it will be all plain sailing from now on.

George

Postby George » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:57 am

Duccout wrote:George, you had a lucky escape there! Most people (including me) would have waited until the engine was back in the frame before fitting the gearbox sprocket. Hopefully it will be all plain sailing from now on.

Pleased with progress. Thought I would have a tidy up before starting next stage. That's when I noticed new selector shaft O ring in my box of new parts. :oops: Feel a bit of a pratt now. Schoolboy error. Should be an expert at splitting crankcases soon.
Day off today and pondering on how to remove clutch arm drift pin that previous owner had managed to snap off exposed part. any ideas?
Plain sailing does not apply when working on this bike
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:55 pm

The older I get, the more silly things I do.....

As regards the roll pin, I'm assuming that there is not room at the back to drive it out from the front? Possibly drive it out a bit and then try and cut the piece that has been exposed with a dremel or chisel? The clutch arm does tend to be pretty loose though, and if you can't get it out don't forget that it is held in place by the cable.

Maybe someone will have an idea.

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Maybe the fact you will be opening the cases again is a blessing in disguise, as whatever your approach to the clutch lever it will be easier to deal with.
I did look at the inside of a case to see if it was possible to drill a hole from the inside, and drive the pin out, but it would be right through the side of the bearing housing, perhaps not the best approach I think.

George, I decided to remove a further suggestion from my post, I will send you a PM.

I repaired my lever by boring and fitting a bronze bush, and was lucky enough to find a good pin in my bits and pieces.
A new pin would not be a difficult to machine, possible from a H/T bolt, and the quench harden.
Well at least it keeps the brain active.
P1070838.JPG
P1070837.JPG
P1070839.JPG
Brian
Made in England

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”