175TS with 125S engine project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Re: 175TS with 125S engine project

Postby George » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Time for an update.
No luck finding 20 mm carb. inlet flange yet, will keep looking. Not enough metal to open 18 mm flange.
Having obtained special tools, time to split cases. Spent a lot of time trying to undo crankshaft alternator nut yesterday stopped before I damaged engine or myself. Started fresh today, constructed frame to bolt engine to bench, supported crankshaft end with piece of hardwood and applied heat to nut. After several sharp blows with club hammer nut loosened. this nut was tightened to more than 100 ft/lbs, (my torque wrench maximum is 100 ft/lbs). I expect rotor is going to be tight. Used tab washer without tab had been replaced.
In contrast clutch basket nut was little more than hand tight, again used tab washer without tab fitted! Rivets on clutch drum rubbing on clutch housing checked parts list 1 mm thrust washer missing between drum and housing. Also noticed clutch had been rubbing on clutch outer cover. Will have to check when putting back together.
Would I be correct that alternator nut should be tightened to about 75 ft/lb and clutch nut about 60 ft/lbs
Perhaps previous owner should stop working on bikes and write a book. 1001 ways how not to restore motorcycles :lol:
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:31 am

My Spanish Ducati is the same, maybe it is all those big steaks that the Spanish eat, giving them massive muscles.

George

Postby George » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:29 am

As expected I'm having trouble removing flywheel alternator rotor. Tightened removal tool bolt to extreme. Any tips welcome. Time for cup of tea.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:52 am

They are Damn tight. I can only suggest warming the rotor and tapping the bolt. Hopefully Nigel (who must have removed a few!) will offer assistance.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:10 am

When I was younger, I needed to take the clutch arm off my Austin 1300. Similar tale, puller as tight as I could get it etc, etc
I gave up went to make some tea, leaving the puller on. Came back after half an hour and it was all lying on the floor!
I’m sure you know all the tricks, but tapping on the puller centre bolt sounds good.
Some people say a mix of acetone and ATF is good for soaking into tough joints too.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:36 pm

apply some judicious heat to the boss area of the rotor and a few smart taps on the extractor centre bolt should jar it free.
Cheers,
George

George

Postby George » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:13 pm

Applied heat with hairdryer, sharp blows on bolt head. No luck. Will leave on tight and try again Monday
George Essex UK

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:28 pm

Is it a brass or alloy rotor? if brass sometimes a few smart taps with a copper hammer on the face of the rotor (not the rim) at its outer edge has a marginal levering effect and in combination with heat (the hair dryer is not hot enough) and extractor pressure may work, if its an alloy rotor try the same but be easy with the hammer tapping :shock:
Cheers,
George

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 pm

George,
PS. your worst case scenario (and this was my one) is when someone laps a previously loose rotor to the crankshaft with fine grinding paste and then for good measure loads it up with some super strength loctite and then tightens the nut up with a ten foot bar! ........that's why you need to apply some "careful" but significant localised heat .......apart from localised expansion it destroys the loctite bond if there is one........not saying this is your case......just the worst one I have ever dealt with. (the difference between bodgers and engineers......engineers work on the principal they may have to take it apart again :lol: )
Cheers,
George

George

Postby George » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:54 pm

blethermaskite wrote:Is it a brass or alloy rotor? if brass sometimes a few smart taps with a copper hammer on the face of the rotor (not the rim) at its outer edge has a marginal levering effect and in combination with heat (the hair dryer is not hot enough) and extractor pressure may work, if its an alloy rotor try the same but be easy with the hammer tapping :shock:
Cheers,
George

I have brass rotor. will try Monday. Worried that heating with gas torch will destroy stator coils windings insulation.
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”