Fork Tube Removal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

gregwils

Fork Tube Removal

Postby gregwils » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:32 pm

I removed the fork assembly. I have every thing removed - upper spring, dust cover, ears. I also removed the allen bolt in the bottom of the housing. I used an electric impact wrench, which meant I didn't need any special tools. However, I the fork tube won't pull out. What could I be missing?
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza (Project)
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

ranton_rambler

Re: Fork Tube Removal

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:40 pm

Which forks are they? With the 31.5mm if you’ve taken the bolt out, the damper rod should be free.
Mine were stuck solid by corrosion between the stanchion and slider so I used heat and then a Hi-Lift jack to pull them apart.
Ian

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:04 am

Thanks Ian. Yes, just the stock 31.5 mm fork tubes on a Monza. There does not appear to be much corrosion elsewhere on the tubes, however, I do believe that they have been mated together since 1965 and not happy that I am bothering them.

I have removed the hex nut on the bottom of the tube, so my understanding is that is the only mechanical attachment between to fork tube and fork base. I can pull the fork tube up easily by hand, but it encounters resistance before I can pull it out of the bottom part of the fork assembly. It is not a hard stop like metal on metal resistance, but it's more like something is hitting the oil seal from the bottom. I can apply more upward force, but don't want to damage hard to replace components. I read somewhere in this forum that someone suggested that too much force and damage the assembly.

Thanks again for the response. Not sure if anyone else has any thoughts.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:02 pm

If you’ve removed the Allen bolt in the bottom of the fork slider, there is nothing else holding it to the fork tube. You’ve also drained the fork oil? Install the fork tube back in the triple clamps. Insert the axle in one of the sliders. Using a soft-blow hammer, hit the axle to drive the fork slider and separate it from the tube. Shouldn’t take much force. You just need to break loose the damper rod from the recess it fits into. The soft topping you’re sensing is the topping spring being compressed by the damper piston.

Matt

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm

Got it. Yes, oil is drained. Good thought on using the triple clamp, I get the concept. My main concern was not to damage anything, so I should be good to go. I don't have a lot of time during the week to tinker, but will update once complete.

Thanks Matt.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:30 am

Just to close out this thread. I slid a pipe through the bottom of the fork slider (base) then stepped on the pipe to prevent the slider from lifting and grabbed the tube with my hands and pulled. After about a dozen or so hard yanks, being careful not to yank it up into my face, it came free. Thanks.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:52 pm

What were the stanchions like? Mine looked OK above the sliders but the part inside was corroded. They were successfully refurbished and are back on the bike now.

DSCF5520small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:43 pm

I checked the stantions more closely last night after seeing your post. It appears to be primarily discoloration along with some wear of the chrome with only one minor (1mm) pitting area. I may try to JB Weld it unless people think I am crazy, I know it's a hack. If the other stantion is worse, then I will have them both professionally repaired. Do you mean rechrome when you say refurbish?

IMG_20200129_205627 (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Yes, rechromed and reground.
Ian

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:15 pm

I cleaned and examined my stantions further this morning (Saturday). Upon closer examination, I found the deterioration and pitting to be far more extensive. In fact, the entire circumference of the stantion in the area at the top of the slider is corroded. I think it's wise to replace them. It appears that rechrome and grind is about the same cost, so think I will buy new.

Can anyone make a recommendation as to where I can source new? Guzzino is temporarily out of stock. I think Classic Ducati has them in stock, just wondering if there are other sources. Also, does anyone know if the damper valve is typically included when you purchase new stantions. I don't know how in the heck I would get the old one out if I needed to swap. Thanks.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”