mk3 toolbox

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

mk3 toolbox

Postby Scottish888 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi,

I think my bike (74 250 mk3) may be missing its tool box cover...or are they meant to look like this.
toolbox_edited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Buster

Re: mk3 toolbox

Postby Buster » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi,
Yes it should have a cover!

IMG_7722.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mmmexico

Postby mmmexico » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:44 pm

I have a couple of these covers in fiberglass...manufactured by Syd here in the United States. They are not functional tool boxes but they do exactly look like the covers that you want...can be painted to look exactly correct. They came with a narrow case bike that I bought a couple of months ago. Apparently the previous owner thought he had a wide case bike. Also from Syd,for a wide case bike, is a very nicely made short fender which mounts on the rear frame uprights just above the swing arm pivot. This piece is intended ton keep water/mud/mung from being splashed up on to the electrics and the carb. If you are interested, I'll figure out what the pieces are worth. I'll post pictures if anyone cares...

Mike

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Thanks folks,

I should have mentioned that I have the blue/gold fibreglass side cover, I was wondering if there should also be a metal toolbox cover that would fit on (with three holes for the side panel)

Buster

Postby Buster » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:57 pm

The cover should have three prongs that pop into the lugs on the box. Rubber grommets hold the prongs. That is all to the box, wrap a cloth round the tools and they can't escape.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:26 am

Aye Alex,

There is no metal cover!

As 'Buster' describes, fibreglass cover, with three (3) prongs that fit through grommets inserted in the three (3) tabs shown in your image. ONLY THE CORRECT DIMENSION GROMMETS GRIP THE COVER!!!! :twisted: Anything else either means that the cover prongs cannot be pushed through the holes, or else the fit is too slack and the covers are deposited down the road! :twisted:

Don't ask how I know! :oops: For many years I ran without the boxes and their covers for this very reason and may yet again revert to this set up.

Both Lacey Engineering and Widecase have supplies of correctly sized grommets on their respective websites. They take a good grip and I have had instance of the prong parting company with the cover when removing from the box. Soft soap tyre lubricant helps to ease them on and off! ;) They can be a right pain.

My regards, Bill

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 am

As Bill says those fibreglass side panels can certainly cause problems, on both my widecase singles I have slightly modified the profile of the three prongs to make them a little easier to get them off while still retaining enough security to keep them on. I use petroleum jelly on the prongs and grommets to lubricate them.
Cheers,
George

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks,

Much appreciated,
It looks like that tool box was designed for a metal cover of some type as there is a locking catch inside the bottom edge, maybe the spring catch was used to retain a tool kit? Were those boxes used in other models?
There is enough room behind the fibreglass cover to put a metal cover on.....maybe in the future :)
Those fibreglass sidecovers are fantastic!, great to have such a thick and strong cover, ugly on the inside but super strong. They are difficult to remove as said. A plastic hoop could be bonded inside and use strong fishing line to prevent loss, a fishing snap link swivel could be added to allow removal and storage...I would hate to lose any part of this wonderful machine

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”