Oil leak sprocket shaft

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Seekhunt

Oil leak sprocket shaft

Postby Seekhunt » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:59 pm

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but what are some options or modifications with regards to the "oil slinger" plate which sits outboard of the RH output shaft bearing? Oh it slings oil all right!!

jbcollier

Re: Oil leak sprocket shaft

Postby jbcollier » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:43 pm

I used a bearing with rubber seals with one side removed, fitting the closed side towards the sprocket. Make sure the groove in the bearing bore for the oil to escape from the slinger is clear. If it is blocked, oil will build up and find it's way out. Breather, breather, breather. Single cylinders move a lot of crankcase air. Any restriction in the breather line will pressurize the crankcase.

Seekhunt

Postby Seekhunt » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:27 pm

I'm looking for some more interpretations on how to best handle this leaky area. Page 78 of the Ducati Workshop Manual (reflected again in Tom Baileys Ducati Singles Workshop Manual page 49) covers the assembly method at the layshafts' sprocket bearing, but to me it is a vague description, and I cannot seem to locate any other commentary on this aspect.
I interpret that a steel oil slinger (washer) goes into the aluminum case bore before that bearing goes in. This is to say that the "washer" resides under the layshaft bearing. Is this correct? The exploded view of the engine on page 28 of the Ducati Workshop Manual (page 11 in Toms) does not offer clues in this area besides a 2mm thick spacer between 5th gear and the bearing in question.
The description goes right on to say that the shielded bearing gets installed with the shielding towards the mainshaft seat. I thought we were talking about the layshaft!
A shielded bearing differs from a sealed bearing in that the former utilizes integral flat steel rings to protect it, while the latter utilizes integral flat rubber rings to seal it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
So what's really supposed to be going on within the right hand case half here? A sealed bearing with one of the seals removed (rubber side out) on the layshaft? And a shielded bearing with one of the shields removed (shield side in) on the mainshaft? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
So back to the original question.....How do you stop the thing from leaking oil out the layshaft behind the front sprocket?
Tips n tricks anyone?
Thanks, Pete

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:27 pm

I found it ceased to be a problem once I put less oil in the motor!. The motor takes ages to warm up and does not burn oil ,so a lower level is no issue.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:43 pm

For a time, singles' sprockets featured a "scroll" thread that helped keep oil within the engine.
It was a close fit with the hole just outside the bearing.
Something to avoid is a loose locking washer and the nut that retain the sprocket.
That can provide a way for oil to make its way out.
I read that some use silicone sealant when assembling the washer and nut.
It fixed my 750GT that had a serious leak from the sprocket area.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:35 am

Seekhunt wrote:I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere ...

You may find what you want here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3061&hilit=sprocket

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3061&hilit=sprocket&start=10

Seekhunt

Postby Seekhunt » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:41 pm

Thank you to you folks who have helped illuminate the path on this one.....lots of info there, much appreciated!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”