Electrex W/C Alternator kit

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Rhys

Electrex W/C Alternator kit

Postby Rhys » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:32 am

Hello all, I have purchased a new Electrex ignition/alternator kit.

The components all look very nice, but I do have a question about installation.
The flywheel has timing marks etched into it. However, the instructions do not mention timing the flywheel, basically just put it on. Is this truly the case?

I've installed the kit, set the timing at full advance at 28 degrees(a Mototrans 350). When nothing happened, I varied the timing on the new pulser ring, again to no avail.

Lots of spark and fuel, but no fire.

I have considered the possibility of flipping the pulser ring to mimic the orientation of the original points(i.e. on the `other` side as compared to the Italians).

I've even uttered some nice colourful language to augment the installation. This made me feel a bit better, but sadly, that didn't have the same effect on the bike. Possibly it is just upset with me.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

ducwiz

Re: Electrex W/C Alternator kit

Postby ducwiz » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:17 am

Firing on wrong TDC? If so, turn the pickup mounting position by 180°.

cheers Hans

Seekhunt

Postby Seekhunt » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:31 am

Rhys, using a degree wheel get the piston to the max advance value found in the specs for your bike. (put that piston somewhere around 30 degrees BTDC compression stroke). Set the pulser rotor so one of the lines lines up with the vague red dot on the pulser ring. It should fire (mind your ankle), if not then rotate the pulser ring 180 degrees and repeat the process using the other line.
I had to purchase the tool to hold the degree wheel, it screws in behind the brass pug in the clutch cover. Having a pointer that fits into that hole the same way, and a corresponding mark on the cover would really be helpful for dynamically timing the bike, but who needed all that convenience in '66 anyways! Once set up, thing works perfectly.

Rhys

Postby Rhys » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:15 am

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Seekhunt, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your timing wheel set-up, if it's not too much trouble of course. It's always interesting to learn new things.

Well, I come back from the shop dragging my head. I couldn't imagine where my mistake was. But, I have, in fact, done something very stupid. In my haste, I FORGOT to tighten down the new pulser rotor. I imagine the magnets (or what ever they are) were not seated low enough for the ring to notice.

I can not believe I did this. :shock:

So, for the first time in seven years, the old bike runs! Not well mind you, I `didn't get the time` ;) to spend on it.

Embarrassed thanks! :oops:

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi Rhys,
Take a look at this link...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2308&p=17232&hilit=Timing+light#p17232

Bruce

Rhys

Postby Rhys » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:27 pm

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for the link. I have seen something similar to that set-up, but that one looks better.

Seekhunt

Postby Seekhunt » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:34 pm

Presently my motor is in as many pieces as it can be while I address some of my own stupid mistakes (incorrect end float, minor piston seize due to incorrect timing), so I haven't a pic of the Electrex component installed.
Pete

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”