Cosmetic repair of a vintage SAFA battery?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Cosmetic repair of a vintage SAFA battery?

Postby JimF » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:29 am

3L3.jpg

(Narrow case 250 parts book image)

I found this SAFA 3L3 battery which is non-functional. The case cracked probably from discharged electrolyte that froze during a winter while the motorcycle that housed it sat outside.

The case crack is what I would like to fix just for show. I don't have any grand ideas about trying to make this hold battery acid and function again.

3l3_cracked.jpg

(Click on the picture and you'll see the crack along the forward-most corner in the picture.)

I am not sure if I should put some epoxy in the crack and then gently put the case in a vise and squeeze it while the epoxy dries, or whether I should find some black goo that hardens and fill the crack, sanding it smooth when I am done.

If I use epoxy does anyone have any ideas what epoxy would work with whatever this old battery case is made of?

My fear with an epoxy is that if it might expand at a different rate than the original case and worsen the crack, and in so doing make the crack longer and make a subsequent repair even bigger and more noticeable. Any ideas?

If I just fill the crack with black goo and sand it down, I'm looking for advice on what I can buy to fulfill this purpose. I'm thinking black RTV as it would be flexible when cured and it shouldn't risk expanding the crack. Maybe I am missing a more obvious material for this purpose, or maybe I am failing to see the flaw in this potential solution. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blethermaskite

Re: Cosmetic repair of a vintage SAFA battery?

Postby blethermaskite » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:03 am

There is stuff called 'Shoo Goo' Iv'e got it on ebay .......black hard setting but flexible rubbery stuff, works fine on old battery cases.
Cheers,
George

DucMonzter

Postby DucMonzter » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:40 pm

I have successfully used CA (super glue) to repair a SAFA battery case. I believe these batteries were made from Bakelite - an early and brittle plastic. Mine only had a hairline crack and didn’t require filling a gap. Epoxy Is better at filling gaps but I’m uncertain whether it expands while curing.... I don’t think it does. Epoxy can be colored by mixing in some pigment (available at art supply stores) with the resin and hardener. It is considered good practice when fixing cracks to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent it from spreading. Once epoxy cures, you may need to file or sand off any excess. Be careful of sanding dust if you sand into the Bakelite - asbestos was sometimes used as filler material. Good luck on your project!

graeme

Postby graeme » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:02 pm

Hello Jim
I thought I saw (some time ago) someone selling empty battery cases that looked the same as your original.
They were made to fit a small modern battery inside.
Or did I dream this?
Graeme

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:34 am

Hi Graeme,

Yes, there was someone selling battery boxes that looked something like the 3L3, but I am not sure if they were simply the commonly available molded battery cases with a SAFA sticker attached, or it they were sized and formed including the vertical textures to copy the real thing.

With an original battery the only thing on my Mach 1 that is not a reproduction item is the bumstop saddle. I have the original saddle but it wasn't a bumstop, and I love the look of the bumstop so I bought the repro. The rims, spokes muffler (and I have the factory megaphone) and everything else are all original parts. However I did put a new chain on it, new tires and a new wiring harness so it isn't and never will be 'all original'. I bought it to ride it and I did ride it a lot. Twenty years ago I didn't think to keep the old chain and tires. But it was my first Ducati, the one that lit the fire in me that I have for these machines and it's nice to push the M1 in the direction of originality when I can.

Years ago I once saw an original bumstop for sale and for the life of me I don't know why I didn't go after it.

Thanks George and DucMonzter for your good advice. It's good to know that you guys have used the stuff you're telling me about with success. To use the super glue I would have to apply some pressure on the battery box with a vice or strap of some kind to close the gap, and I worry about busting a seam somewhere else. My gap is a bit wider than a hairline crack.

I'll experiment with epoxy and shoo goo. I'll let some of each harden on a table and gauge them based on color, sheen, texture and such and then proceed with a repair. I know it won't ever be perfect, but it will be a nice addition.

Jim

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi Jim,

I’m not sure what kind of glue would work best but I have a couple suggestions. Clean out the battery internals before doing the repair. Rough up the surface inside around the crack. Reinforce the crack from the inside with a layer of glue and some mesh screen of some sort. Try to pull the crack together with some tape placed across the joint, clamping would likely cause some deformation. As mentioned you can color the glue with a pigment, your local paint store or artist supply should have some lamp black.
Good luck with the repair

Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”