Ducati MK3 stainless steel spokes

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

Re: Ducati MK3 stainless steel spokes

Postby graeme » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Alex
Ducati vintage store in Italy used to sell stainless and painted spoke sets.
I assume they still do?
I have used their spokes and they fitted well
Made to suit your bike

Graeme

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Eldert wrote:
Scottish888 wrote:Are the spokes the same lengths front and rear?
Are the hubs the same external diameter?

Regards,

Alex

spokes are not the same length front and rear .

i think your rear rim is 18 inch and front 19 inch .

rear spokes are 155 mm from memory .

Eldert

Eldert,

a 19" front wheel was used only inthe Scrambler w/c models. MkIII and Desmos had two 18" wheels, but differnet spoke lengths due to the different brake drum diameters.

cheers Hans

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi Hans

pretty sure the blue and gold Mark 3 had a 19 inch front wheel .

Eldert

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:15 am

Aye Alex,

My 1974 450 MKIII Blue/Gold, bought by me in 1976, has 18" wheels front and back. Borrani 'RECORD' rims WM2 front and WM3 rear. Front wheel the inner and outer spokes appear to be the same. BUT, THEY ARE NOT! There is a slight difference in overall length of ~5mm and the angle of the head. Inner spokes have an obtuse head angle of 95degrees, whilst the outer spokes have an acute head angle of 85degrees. These measurements are taken from the OME spokes and they are galvanised steel. If you intend to order spokes from Central Wheels, or any other supplier, I would advise that you take images of the wheels to show the lacing pattern of the spokes. You supply a pair of inner spokes and a pair of outer spokes from each wheel, clearly labelled and tied together. The rear spokes on these wheels are similar, but again, there are subtle differences in length and head angle. Also, BEFORE DISMANTLING the rear wheel, measure the distance between the outside face of the hub on the brake side and the rim outer edge and the same measurement between the outer face of the drive side of the hub and the rim outer edge. It isn't a bad thing to check the same rim offset on the front wheel as well, just in case! With the rear wheel they are different and if the wheel is not rebuilt with this offset then the rim will foul the frame on compression! :twisted: Chrome plated brass nipples and galvanised spokes are not as rigid as stainless steel spokes, but horses for courses.

I also have a 1975 350 MKIII Blue/Gold and this has a 19" WM2 Borrani front rim and a 18" WM3 Borrani rear rim on the same Oldani hubs as my 1974 450 MKIII.

As with most Ducati single parts and especially towards the end of production, if it fitted and looked the part that's what was used. Bit like 'Desmo yellow', with over 50 differing shades. :shock: Use what you prefer and don't get in a fankle about it. ;)

Good health, Bill

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:46 pm

Bought new stainless steel spokes and plated brass nipples from "Barrie the wheel builder" who is located in Fife Scotland.
I am happy to recommend this helpful supplier who also builds wheels.
Gave him a few samples and then ready in just a couple of days, great service and happy to offer advice.
I spoked the wheels myself, got it all trued up it was a fairly easy job as the spokes fitted so well with enough thread but had to play around with the truing for a while as I rarely spoke wheels.
Will post up pics later

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”