Where to buy individual valve shims?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

linker48x

Where to buy individual valve shims?

Postby linker48x » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:01 am

Where can I buy individual valve shims for my Mk.3 in the US? I’m adjusting the valves and don’t want to buy a big expensive kit. Lacey’s has them but there is a shipping delay.

graeme

Re: Where to buy individual valve shims?

Postby graeme » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 am

jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:58 pm

Your local Ducati shop/dealer will have them. Not cheap but if you are only after one or two shims, it's convenient.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Look for valve lash caps for 8mm valve stems.
They are made for cars too, sometimes in various thicknesses but sometimes just one size to act as a stem tip protector only.
It should be possible to grind them thinner as required, but check with seller.

linker48x

Postby linker48x » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:17 am

Thanks for the help. I went to EMS and the fellow was quite helpful, and I ordered the shim I needed and one .05mm on either side of it. I’ll post again if any problems arise but it looks like it’s solved, and EMS is a great help.

On the similar subject of bevel drive shims, my bike had its apparently original OEM .040 gasket where the bevel shaft housing meets the head, and I could only locate .032 gaskets, thus throwing the shimming off. Guzzino.com came through with an array of shims. As it turns out, I have a bucket of NOS stuff that came to me with the bike, including about 10 OEM gasket sets, and I pulled a replacement OEM .040 gasket out of one of those sets, putting the shimming back to right without changing the shims themselves. Anyway, bravo to Guzzino.com too.

linker48x

Postby linker48x » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:15 am

Just got this from EMS, the business has sold to LT Snyder of Desmo Times:

"I am happy to announce that I sold my Ducati Shim Business, EMS (emsduc.com) to LT Snyder of Desmo Times. LT will take control of the company officially on January 1st, 2020. The business is currently closed during the transition period.

Mr. Snyder has long been part of the Ducati community since 2002, when he opened Desmo Times, a Ducati parts business specializing in maintenance items. He has authored two books, a 2V Maintenance Guide and a 4V Maintenance Guide that have been sold for many years. In conjunction with the parts business, he has worked as a Ducati tech, servicing customers bikes. He also has a PhD in Business and teaches the subject at a local University near his home.

My shim business, EMS will fit in nicely with Desmo Times. LT’s knowledge of all things Desmo will provide a similar level of expertise to that given over the last 17 years. I could not be happier in the choice of my buyer for EMS. To contact LT, you can email him at

desmosoldier@gmail.com

I want to thank you for being a customer and allowing me to meet your valve shim needs. Whether an individual, an independent shop, a Ducati Dealer, or a Distributor, you have made my existence possible.

I am retiring from the business and will transition into doing other thinks in life that I enjoy. I am not part of the new venture.

I hope the best for all of you and feel gratitude toward everyone for making this whole endeavor so worthwhile.

Regards

Mike Guidera"

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”