clutch cover bolt pattern????

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

tricolormonster

clutch cover bolt pattern????

Postby tricolormonster » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Guys,

So my monza didn't have the right clutch cover screws when I got it and today i got the correct ones.
Buy I can't find any diagram that show which holes get the 3-50mm bolts vs the 5-40mm ones.
I checked all the manuals I could find.

Anyone know the pattern or how to tell?

thanks
stu

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: clutch cover bolt pattern????

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:59 pm

" Anyone know the pattern or how to tell? "

____ Sure Stu! _ If you look closely at either the motor-case or the clutch-cover, you ought to notice that three of the bolt-holes have larger sized holes for locater/alignment-bushings - one at the rear & two near the front -(one up & one down)... Those are the three locations which get the 3 longer screws !
__ I might add that those three 'drum-BUSHes' can get left stuck within either the motor-case, or, the clutch-cover... And it's best if you can get them to only stay placed just within the cover's receptacles for them, that way, those three bushings will stick-out a bit above the mating-surface and thus be able to provide the added use of helping to hold your new gasket in place at those three useful points around the cover's perimeter.
__ As for the bolt-pattern for tightening-down the clutch-cover...
First set the cover into it's place until the three locater-bushings can begin to do their alignment-job, then insert the 3 longest screws into those three locations and slowly tighten-down each one which seems to need the greater amount of drawing-in of it's part of the cover (so as to always be trying to keep the cover equally aligned with the motor-case, as the cover is slowly drawn towards the motor-case, of course). _ At this point I'd suggest no more than 1 full-turn per screw at a time, as you go clockwise around the cover.
Once these three screw-locations have brought the cover flush (but not tightly so!) to the motor-case, then insert & screw-in all the other shorter screws. _ Then slightly tighten-down the three main-screws, and then next do all the short-screw locations (a little at a time, each one as far as possible away from the last) until they are all fully tight, then finally, fully tighten the three main-screws.

____ It's too bad that you had not brought-up this topic before you went screw-hunting ! _ Cuz then I could've tipped you on what screws are best for this job...
__ First, always prefer aluminum versions,
and I also say why not use the longest screws possible for every hole!?! ...
In the three spots where the 50mm screws were chosen to go by Ducati, ya can fit 55mm screws, and in those other places where the 40mm screws go, ya could instead use 45mm screws. - (Just need to make sure that your replacement-screws have at least 5mm of additional threads.)
__ And if ya really care about your project-DUKE, ya can use a flat-nose -('blind-hole') 6x1mm tap to thread those seven clutch-cover holes all the way to their bottoms, and get at least another 5mm deeper yet of additional threads, for use with even longer screws! _ As I now recall from when I last did so back in the '80s, I was then able to use three 65mm & four 50mm screws, for this job. - (If that's incorrect, then it had to have been three 60mm & four 55mm screws.)
__ In any case, it's always a good idea to clean-out those threaded-holes with a suitable tap with it's flutes filled with grease, ESPECIALLY if ya hear/feel any grit as you turn-in your screws ! _ This is a great likely-hood if ya happen to have a pre-1966 Scrambler, as many owners -(who at the time simply thought of their Ducati as a mere bike, and not as a DUKE!), of that model would pull that cover (WHILE STILL DIRT-COVERED!), in an attempt to self-investigate their (common) kick-starter slippage-issue ! _ And thus ignorantly get dirt into those threads. _ I know cuz I've had to fix many such instances with stripped-out threads (due to sand & dirt, and trying to use a 40mm-screw in the 50mm-hole, etc). -
(Sorry about carrying-on about one of my common rants.)

____ Enough for now.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

tricolormonster

Re: clutch cover bolt pattern????

Postby tricolormonster » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks Bob.

You're a regular encyclopedia. I tip my hat to the depth of your knowledge.

till the next question... :)

stu

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”