Slippig clutch and valve liffter on a 350 scrambler.

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: Slippig clutch and valve liffter on a 350 scrambler.

Postby Ventodue » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:26 am

Buster wrote: ... back the bike up in gear until compression (in reverse) then your piston is in the same position as it would be if you used a valve lifter. A good swing on the kickstart <snip> ...

Just remember to knock it out of gear first ... :D :shock: DAMHIK.

Jacks the Lad

Postby Jacks the Lad » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Rolling the bike back in gear, yes that would do the trick, just one problem, I haven't quite mastered the trick of kick starting with my left leg (to many years of riding British bikes with starter on the right). May have to learn how to do it, but in the mean time, my efforts find a valve lifter have come back negative so far, I thought I would try and fabricate one, The photo showed my attempts so far.

Not finished yet, I will report back on how I get on.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 pm

Jacks the Lad wrote: I haven't quite mastered the trick of kick starting with my left leg (to many years of riding British bikes with starter on the right).

I always use my right foot, standing beside the bike.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:18 pm

I too use the right leg, standing beside the bike. Not being Kerr handed the left leg doesn't have the co-ordination and I'm not sure that it would survive a kick back! :roll:

Regards, Bill

Jacks the Lad

Postby Jacks the Lad » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:20 pm

A bit more work on the home fabricated valve lifter showing the now much shorten pin and the home made tab washer cut from sheet steel.
Need the to braze something on the end of the actuating arm to act as a termination for the bowden cable but have run out of gas (O2) work on hold for the moment.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:49 pm

Aye John,

Pictures and dimensions as promised. Apologies for the delay, I was at Stafford Show, where there were few Ducati singles and few selling Ducati bits.

I will have to use 2 posts to get the images across to you. I can PM to you or email if required.

Regards, Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 pm

Aye John,

Further images of Ducati MKIII valve lifter components to add to my previous post.

Regards, Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jacks the Lad

Postby Jacks the Lad » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:14 am

Thank you Bill,
Most helpful.

Jacks the Lad

Postby Jacks the Lad » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:58 pm

The homemade valve-lifter in place, Not the most elegant of devices perhaps, but it works.

A slightly stronger spring under the operating pin and some tiding up no doubt needed, but getting there.
Big thank you to "themoudie" for help and advice.

jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 pm

"fuel efficient" engine oils have additives that will make wet clutches slip. Usually these oils are 0w-x or 5w-x. "Fuel efficient" will be written on the container. Fortunately you can just drain the "FE" oil and fill with the proper stuff and you'll be ok.

I run a very high compression 250NC with 450 springs, lined housing and a WC release lever. Clutch pull is light with no slip.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”