250 SCR centre stand removal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

steveroyall

250 SCR centre stand removal

Postby steveroyall » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi all
I'm trying to remove the centre stand from my 250 SCR frame so I can get them powder coated.
I'm pretty sure this is a simple shaft through the frame held in place at either end with circlips (I had no circlips however).
No matter what I do this shaft is not budging an inch, even after heating and beating. It's rock solid in there.

Image from iOS (5).jpg

Image from iOS (6).jpg

I'm just wondering am I going about this right and it is just bunged up or have i missed something and should go to back of the class?

Thanks all
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jordan

Re: 250 SCR centre stand removal

Postby Jordan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Try not to increase the diameter of the rod ends too much when beating.
I would try soaking it in penetrating fluid, maybe something better than WD40.
If it still doesn't move, drill & tap an end for a puller or slide hammer.
Reinstall with anti-seize grease.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:28 pm

I had no problem with the pin for the stand, but had to saw through the brake pedal shaft to dismantle it. Once it was apart I needed a press to get the remaining piece out of the pedal.
Ian

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:52 pm

the trick is to get the pivot spindle twisting rather than trying to bash it through, I have had this problem several times, so you arc weld a big nut to the end of the spindle then heat up the pivot tubes of the stand and twist the pivot spindle with a suitable spanner until it gives then lash in some oil whilst it is nice and hot and it should all free up. It is such a bad design because the pivot tubes of the stand are about five times the length of the holes in the frame so when it all starts to rust the pin just pivots in the frame and gets super stuck in the stand , when you get it out drill and tap the stand for a couple of grease nipples, you can also weld a lock plate on the end of the spindle to stop it turning in the frame in the future.
Cheers,
George

steveroyall

Postby steveroyall » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks for the advice chaps.
I'm going to try the 'weld a nut on the end' trick and see if a bit of torsion will shift it.
Will let you know how i get on.

All the best
Steve

steveroyall

Postby steveroyall » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:44 pm

After welding nuts to the end, heating, pulling and bashing for a whole day I finally took an angle grinder to the spindle.
One half just fell out the other was firmly stuck in one side of the stand.
After attempting to weld more nuts, twist then drill it out (no pillar drill), I gave up and got the angle grinder out again, split the tube and knocked out the rest of the spindle and welded a repair to stand.
Replacement 16mm steel rod on it's way.

I won in the end but I'm exhausted.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Well that certainly seems to have been a tough one, at least one widecase stuck stand I had to deal with ended with the same angle grinder result as yours, in retrospect for all the cost of a new spindle (and pref. a stainless steel one) the grinder makes it easy.
Cheers,
George

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”