OK, People. How do I make it happen?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

dlearl476

OK, People. How do I make it happen?

Postby dlearl476 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 pm

66C97975-BBAB-4A71-8163-E76B370615CE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jordan

Re: OK, People. How do I make it happen?

Postby Jordan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Magic?

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 am

No magic needed ...

This headlamp looks like one from a 160, so imho has 130mm dia.

How to make it: Buy a new 12V alternator kit with sufficient more power from
https://www.vape.eu/alternator-ducati-1 ... otor-117mm
or
https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin ... ml#SID=826
and fit it, and the new R-R as well. Take care to connect all cables correctly.
Search for a 130mm sealed beam H4 kit, or look for 130mm reflector, glass etc. Check if the H4 bulb will fit.
If necessary, make an adaptor ring to fit the reflector assy into your lamp shell. You might need a lathe for this job, or sheet metal working skills.
FInally, all incandescent lamps, the battery, the horn and the ignition coil must be changed into 12V types. Fuses can have half of their former trip value.

cheers Hans

dlearl476

Postby dlearl476 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:38 am

I always forget about the 6V bit. This might be more of a hassle then I want to put up with on the Monza. I envisioned it to be more of a toy, anyway. But it’s worth considering on the scrambler because I’ve already converted it to 12V. Thanks for your input.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:19 pm

The problem is always the power requirement. Incandescent and Halogen bulbs require much more power than the Ducati electrical systems were designed to deliver for the entire electrical system (headlight, taillight, brake light, horn and ignition combined).

The upgraded alternator kits can certainly solve the problem but at a very high cost.

LED high power emitters use less power than incandescence and Halogen bulbs, but most commercially available products are 12-volt units, understandably so since the era of 6-volt vehicles pretty much ended with the 1960s.

I’m aware of some 6-volt LED High power emitter headlight bulbs being sold within the vintage Porsche community, albeit usually in pairs for obvious reasons.

I have often thought that one of these 6-volt LED headlights might fit within the depth of the 150mm Ducati headlight bucket and possibly the 130mm headlight bucket. Some fabrication effort to mount the LED unit in the reflector/bucket would be needed.

Also, some of us have Ducatis with un-regulated AC voltage systems so their compatibility with an inherent DC voltage LED headlight product is questionable. If the LED headlight product can’t withstand the reverse voltage of the AC then a simple diode may be needed. If the LED headlight can’t withstand the peak voltage of the AC system at high RPMs then a simple voltage regulator may be needed.

Jim

dlearl476

Postby dlearl476 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:10 pm

JimF wrote:The problem is always the power requirement. Incandescent and Halogen bulbs require much more power than the Ducati electrical systems were designed to deliver for the entire electrical system (headlight, taillight, brake light, horn and ignition combined).

The upgraded alternator kits can certainly solve the problem but at a very high cost.

LED high power emitters use less power than incandescence and Halogen bulbs, but most commercially available products are 12-volt units, understandably so since the era of 6-volt vehicles pretty much ended with the 1960s.

I’m aware of some 6-volt LED High power emitter headlight bulbs being sold within the vintage Porsche community, albeit usually in pairs for obvious reasons.

I have often thought that one of these 6-volt LED headlights might fit within the depth of the 150mm Ducati headlight bucket and possibly the 130mm headlight bucket. Some fabrication effort to mount the LED unit in the reflector/bucket would be needed.

Also, some of us have Ducatis with un-regulated AC voltage systems so their compatibility with an inherent DC voltage LED headlight product is questionable. If the LED headlight product can’t withstand the reverse voltage of the AC then a simple diode may be needed. If the LED headlight can’t withstand the peak voltage of the AC system at high RPMs then a simple voltage regulator may be needed.

Jim

Thanks for the info, Jim. A 6V led may be the way to go. With my Beck Spyder, I'm pretty plugged in to vintage Porsche suppliers. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 am

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Just seeing this thread prompted me to give mine a little run out in the dark. I’ve not been out in the dark yet, but as the nights are drawing in it is more likely I’ll need to.
I’ve got an Electrex reg/rec set to 12V and the original generator. The battery charges well but with the lights on it’s marginal. So I swapped the bulb to an LED “double dipper” to reduce the current draw.
Conclusion - don’t ride too fast in the dark!

dlearl476

Postby dlearl476 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:54 am

Jordan wrote:https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/universal-6-volt-ac-regulator/

Nice. Thx

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”