Parts books for Spanish Ducatis?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Jordan

Parts books for Spanish Ducatis?

Postby Jordan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:23 am

I've only seen a parts book for a narrowcase Mototrans-Ducati.
Are there any available for the widecase models?
Particularly, I'd like to find the one relating to the 350 Forza model with electric starter.
DaveL kindly gave me the starter parts off his that he didn't want, now I have to try to make sense of it.

Jon Pegler

Re: Parts books for Spanish Ducatis?

Postby Jon Pegler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:13 pm

There were parts books for the widecase Ducati singles produced in Spain, but they are very hard to find, with the exception of the 250/350 Road models.
The parts book for the earky Forza with the starter motor at the front of the crankcases is number M0976 for the motor and B0976 for the chassis.
I know that copies of the motor parts book are sold by Andreas Wolf in Spain. He advertises on the Mil Anuncios website. ( item no. r173624187)

I would question whether this is really a good idea.
The early starter arrangement was quite hopeless and rarely worked, hence it was completely changed to a chain driven starter placed behind the cylinder, which worked much better.
I think the early type of starter was under developed and tried to use too many parts from the Parallel twin that was being built by Mototrans at the time.
The later starter worked better but relied on a completely different crankshaft to work in combination with a sprag bearing.

One difficulty with trying to fit the early starter motor to an Italian single is the lack of an inner support for the intermediate gear between the starter motor and the ring gear on the flywheel. In the earliest Forzas an aluminium block was welded into the front of the case by the flywheel. Later this support was cast into the case. This support has a needle roller bearing fitted to hold the intermediate shaft. Without such a support the starter components are not going to work.
You could get hold of a set of early Forza cases and swap over the internals.
Also, the front of the Forza cases have the fins on the LH case shaved down to clear the starter motor, so that item will not clear the Italian cases.

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jordan

Re: Parts books for Spanish Ducatis?

Postby Jordan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:22 pm

Thank you for the info, Jon.
I recently installed an electric starter to my 750GT, which works very well.
I thought it could be fun to have a single with push button start too, but there do seem to be obstacles as you've pointed out.
Your photos have made it very clear what some problems are.

Jordan

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”