engine protection bars?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

engine protection bars?

Postby Scottish888 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:36 am

Thinking ahead to when I get the Ducati 250 bike on the road, the engine looks vulnerable to any small drop and I wondered about fabricating some discreet form of engine protection bar. Has anyone considered this? Is it worth disrupting the classic look to protect the classic engine?

Regards

Paul W.

Re: engine protection bars?

Postby Paul W. » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Of all my bikes, I've found my 250 Monza to be the one least likely to suffer damage from being knocked over — and using it daily in the city for 25 years, it's happened a few times. Ugh, that sick feeling as you run across the sidewalk to your machine, on its side in a puddle of gas. Each time though, I was amazed to find so few scars. This particular bike has flat, relatively straight handlebars, dual seat, and cigar type Silentium. Because the footrests are solid they make contact first, then the 'bars, and finally one of the lovely chrome shock nuts. Of course I've had to straighten brake and clutch levers —and replace a couple— but incredibly the tank, seat, and muffler were never damaged on these occasions. Not even a bent shift lever. In a simple tip-over the engine isn't at risk at all. Protection bars are ugly, and give off a strange vibe, a sort of lack of faith, in my opinion.

(One time, maybe around '97, a disturbed man deliberately heaved the little bike off its centerstand. I was parked on a concrete sidewalk, and the force of impact actually broke a weld — the upper shock boss was detached from the frame. Even then, there was no other damage but repairs took a while, since I repainted the frame after re-welding. I do wonder about all the other welds, though, when I'm going fast...
Incidentally, I prefer the intentional action of that deranged man to inept drivers who knock bikes over while parking and drive away, oblivious).

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 pm

The roadholding and general handling characteristics of a Ducati single are sooooooo good that you will never fall off it, and therefore no extra protection is required. :D
cheers,
George

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks for your views,
My bike has the standard clip ons, LH foldable footrest and of course the brake on the wrong side for me.
I am sure the bikes abilities are far greater than mine, it is just the idiots, farmers, sheep and deer to worry about :)

Regards

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”