Staccato/Nova primary/clutch

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

double diamond

Staccato/Nova primary/clutch

Postby double diamond » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:16 pm

A few posts ago there was mention of Staccato parts. I’m attaching a few pics of a Staccato/Nova straight cut primary/dry clutch I’m in the process of assembling. This engine also has the 1st generation close ratio transmission, for which I am indebted to Nigel Lacey for parts. Without Nigel’s appreciation for the value of these parts, which he has retained since they went out of production in the 1980’s(?), this engine would be in a box in a forgotten corner.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ranton_rambler

Re: Staccato/Nova primary/clutch

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:44 am

Looks interesting Matt. Someone has put a lot of effort into designing and making those bits. Is there a significant performance gain?

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am

Ian,
There is performance gain in that the straight cut primary does not generate the thrust loads on the crankshaft that the standard primary does. It is also supposed to take less power to drive than helical gears. The dry clutch is more about durability, being able to get off the line with tall gearing and the additional power all the racey bits have contributed.

Matt

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 pm

That all makes sense Matt.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”