NC Auto Advance part numbers inquiry

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

tobydmv

NC Auto Advance part numbers inquiry

Postby tobydmv » Thu May 30, 2019 3:34 pm

Good morning, i'm still chasing problems with my nc 250 scrambler.(66/67) and need a little help. I'm trying to verify that I have the correct auto advance for a battery free ignition setup. I believe this was stock with the lower output alternator setup on 250 scramblers. Does anyone know how to verify the different advance units by part numbers for narrow case scramblers? I searched the web for parts manuals but I could only find the wide case parts manuals. They show a single part number for the aau.

Some history:
When I brought the bike home it had an ignition coil suited for a battery ignition installed. I believe it measured 400ohms. I found out that the ig. stator coil was shorted and guessed that the previous owner had converted it to a battery type ignition. Now i'm wondering if he changed the auto advance as well. If I could find the two part numbers for the NC Scrambler AAU's I could verify which one I have.

The symptoms:
The bike starts well and runs but as soon as you get past 1/4 throttle it will bog down and eventually die. This was more pronounced when the previous ignition coil was in place.

What i've done:
Rewired the ignition stator coil and measured its resistance. Matched it to a ET/Magneto type ignition coilhttp://guzzino.com/igco6va.html
Fitted a sized mikuni vm from Sudco
Timed and set the points and spark plug

ducwiz

Re: NC Auto Advance part numbers inquiry

Postby ducwiz » Thu May 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi,

i'm not very familiar with the N/C singles, own a W/C. But I worked on N/Cs occasionally, and can offer a part catalogs for 4 and 5 speed models. The latter also covers the 250SCR and shows a fixed cam used with the AC ignition, also for the MARK3. The other models are equipped with DC ignition and a unique AAU (one no. only). If you send me a PN containing you email adress, I can send a pdf.

cheers Hans

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Thu May 30, 2019 8:45 pm

The battery/coil AAU is marked “AA359”. The ET AAU is marked “AA367” or “AA367B”. The solid point cam installed on early scramblers and Mark 3 has no marking but is, obviously, easy to identify what it is. The point cam profile on the solid cam is the same as the ET AAU. Catalog part numbers or descriptions do not correlate to the marking on the AAU.
Matt

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Fri May 31, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi,

just found an interesting thread about that topic: http://www.motoscrubs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428 The differences between 3 AAUs are explained her.

cheers Hans

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”